Author Topic: High Resolution Screens`  (Read 214 times)

wil01

High Resolution Screens`
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
I have a new Dell 15" XPS with a optional resolution of 3840 x 2160.  There is a problem with the size of all icons, tool bars, and menus.  They are so small that using any of them is imposible.

I understand that the 2017 update of DC will allow increasing the size of the icons.

Please make sure the menus and other system items can be sized up to be usable with these high resolution screens also.

The drawing itself isn't a problem. Ctrl + W will make the drawing usable as normal.

Thanks!
Wil

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: High Resolution Screens`
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
What version of windows?

In windows 10 under display settings, you can select 125% or more to increase everything proportionally..

As I understand it, menu fonts will be controlled by windows settings, only icons will be scaleable by Designcad.
User since Pro-design

wil01

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
I goodness, I learn something new every day.  Windows 10 does have settings to change the display size of text.  My system lets me set the font size for many things, and it seems to work.

My default font size is 9.  I changed everything to 12, and the result was amazing.

Now I can't wait for the icon thing.

Thanks!
Wil

Rob S

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
Happy that helps but font size is not what I meant   If you right click your desktop, and select "Display settings"..

The first item below the image of the screen number is a slider where you can select a percent enlargement of EVERYTHING proportionally including the icons.
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
Rob is correct. However, that will not affect the size of DesignCAD's icons (at least, not after you log out and back on to apply the new setting). In version 2017, the Windows scaling will affect the size of DesignCAD's menus, and you will be able to size the icons separately in View Options.
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Rob S

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
OK, I learned something too.   I had not realized the icons scale back down again after a sign-out and sign back in again.

At least the effect is easy to achieve, albeit temporary..

Until then under options, view, use large icons will work, together with the scaling.
User since Pro-design

wil01

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 04:13:43 AM »
Maybe there is something unique about my system with such a high resolution with just a 15 screen.  The default scaling is 350% and that still causes the small size problem, but there is an additional procedure that I discovered and it fixes all the size problems except the app icon size.

Enter: Settings>System>Display>Advanced display settings>Advanced sizing of text and other Items

That screen has a dropdown that allows setting the font size for:
Title bars, Menus, Message boxes, Icons and Tool Tips.

That does the trick for everything except application icons.

Good Luck!
Wil