Author Topic: Best way to add Text Table to DesignCAD Drawing  (Read 329 times)

Robert Willis

Best way to add Text Table to DesignCAD Drawing
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »
What is the easiest way to add a text table to a DesignCAD drawing? I am adding a parts list on the drawing and am looking of the best solution.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Best way to add Text Table to DesignCAD Drawing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
I have often used Excel to create the table, and pasted it into Designcad

You can edit within designcad as it comes in as txt and lines, but sometimes easier to go back to Excel

Weird thing though,I tried this on my HP envy  laptop just now to confirm using DCAD 2016, and it did not work.  Made a complete mess of the table

Went back to my older HP laptop, and it worked just fine in all versions of Designcad from v22 to 2016
User since Pro-design

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
Method 1:
Turn on the snap grid with minor grid distance set to a convenient height slightly larger than the text size you plan to use.
Use the Box command to draw the outside of the table, then the Line command to add in the horizontal and vertical lines.

Method 2:
Draw one horizontal line.
Select it, and use the Array command to make as many copies as you need directly above the first one.
Draw any vertical lines you need for columns and edges.
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Robert Willis

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Thanks, I will try both approaches. I have also tried Multiline Text however it has the following limitations.

1. I cannot get the tabs to work correctly. The text does not  line up correctly. I am using the Courier New Font.

2. If I underline the text it does not use a solid line under the characters. Only the character is underlined which leaves spaces similar to dashed lines.

3. I tried using Microsoft Excel 2016 to create the table but it is giving me weird results when pasted into DesignCAD.

4. I just tried pasting the text from Excel 2016 into the Multiline Text and it is working with the exception of the underline. It appears to solve the Tab issue I am having.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:48:21 PM by Robert Willis »

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
Rob pointed out in a different post that the font chosen in Excel may cause problems when pasted into DesigncDA. Try a different font in Excel and see if that helps. I think he said Calibri works better than Arial.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 06:19:27 AM »
Sorry, I should have reported back here once I found out the solution.  In fact, it was the other way around.

The table formatted in arial font pasted very nicely into design cad all versions, including any borders.

Calibri font in excel messed up the paste.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:32:15 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
2. If I underline the text it does not use a solid line under the characters. Only the character is underlined which leaves spaces similar to dashed lines.
l always get a solid underline.

Robert Willis

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I will try some of them to find the best solution.