Author Topic: Allow me to introduce myself  (Read 507 times)

Icedog

Allow me to introduce myself
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
I only yesterday installed Design Cad 3D Max on my laptop. While I have been an engineer for many moons, I have absolutely no familiarity with any CAD system. I am a disabled veteran but I do much fabrication for my countless projects in my basement shop. Although I freely admit my ignorance regarding CAD systems, I always draw what I build and I build what I draw. However, I am tired of being a dinosaur. I am hoping I will be able to learn from you folks and I am also hoping my ignorance doesn't wear you out.

I have started studying the Getting Started Guide and the training program I purchased with the software. I am thrilled with Design Cad and I am anxious to get started. Please forgive my impatience. Being involved in an exciting car customization project, I am going to use this project as the jumping off point in my transition from pencils and scales to Computer Aided Drafting. So, here we are.

Here is a drawing of the basic assembly I am designing. It will be titanium tailpipe ends for my 2016 MINI JCW 2 Door Hard Top. I know I can make drawings of each part individually. My first question is, will the system take the individual part drawings and put them together to create an assembly drawing or am I going to have to createan entire assembly drawing?[/url]Tailpipe Drawing by Brad, on Flickr[/img]

Okay, already I have a problem. Would someone please tell me how to add a photo to a post?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:25:51 AM by Icedog »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:36 AM »
Welcome, Icedog

This forum is populated by numerous Designcad "enthusiasts" of all varieties who will be happy to respond to any questions you might have.

Surprisingly, given the many features of Designcad, we often still learn new stuff from beginners questions!!!

Your links worked, but you can also upload using the "attachments and other options" below the compose window.

Basically, you will have to create your own assembly drawing from the parts, but there are many tools to make this easier.

To start with, you have the important choice of whether to draw a 3D "model", and then print out views of the model, or to draw a 2D "drawing" of the part as you might find in a catalogue.

To start, it will probably seem tedious to accomplish anything, and you might be tempted to grab your pencil, but like all such skills, you will find the effort very worthwhile.
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
Icedog,

Welcome to the DesignCAD Forum. Please understand - no question is too trivial. The only silly questions are those that are not asked!
I have been using the program for decades and every now and then I learn something new as the result of a question from a newbie. So don't be shy!

First, to add an image or a file to a post you need to click the "Attachments and other options" just below the text window while you are typing. Then click "Browse" and find the file in the normal way. Select the file and click "Open." You can click "(more attachments)" to add additional files, up to four. See the caveats listed below the file browse box.

Only a few file types are accepted by the Forum - but there is a way around this. You can ZIP files of any file types and the forum will accept it.

Now, about your drawing. The program will not think for you, so you will have to create the complete assembly drawing. In this case you want three pipes of varying diameter positioned concentrically about a central axis, with the ends of the pipes cut at an angle.

I presume you want a 2D drawing that can be used in the shop to create the parts. You could design the whole thing in 3D and then generate 2D drawings from the 3D design. But since you are new to the program that would be biting off too much to start with.

I recommend that you start off in 2D and draw the parts and assembly just as you would on paper. Follow the same steps you would use with pencil on paper - drawing lines, circles, ellipses, etc. This will introduce you to DesignCAD's drawing tools and help familiarize you with how the program works.

If you run into a problem just tell us and someone will help you. However, you should understand that DesignCAD's user interface is extremely versatile - think "confusing" the first time you encounter it. And everyone has their own ways of using the program. So you may get several different answers that are all correct. Eventually you will find the way to use the program that is most comfortable for you. In the mean time when you get frustrated, take a deep breath, have a mental margarita/martini, and come to the Forum for answers.

There is a "Tips and Tricks" section on the Forum that has a lot of posts by experienced users. And the on line Help feature can explain how to use the many different tools.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 10:24:05 AM »
One advantage (among many) in CAD is the ability to place entities in layers: the equivalent to individual drawings that "overlay" other entities in the same drawing. You can show or hide layers at will, so it allows easier viewing and manipulating without effecting other entities in the drawing. Lots of other available options, too. It's especially helpful in complex 3D models. The shortcut key "L" brings up the layer dialog box, and Info box (Ctrl-I) can be used to change values.

Welcome to our world.  8)

edgar

• Retired-loving every minute of it
    • My Lame Site
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
Welcome! and since you mentioned itů

I am mildly challenged by limited use of both shoulders and hands; I almost never use a keyboard and strictly limit my use of my track mouse. I control DesignCAD almost exclusively by voice (Dragon NaturallySpeaking - Dragon Professional Individual 15) using scripts that I write in DesignCAD's Basic scripting language and Dragon's native scripting language (enhanced with KnowBrainer's scripting language).

I'm going to differ with Dr. PR (although, admittedly, he's an expert and I'm a rank amateur) and suggest that you jump right in and do both 2D and 3D drawings. For me, the real advantage in CAD is having concrete visual evidence that the individual bits and pieces that I sketch out in 2D actually fit together in real life.
-Ed

Icedog

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
Thank you all for the terrifical responses. I am very excited by this entire experience and have zero regrets about buying the CAD software. I am pretty confident that I'll be able to begin making useful design drawing because everything I've read makes it clear the programs were written by actual draftsmen and/or engineers. That, and you people.

SFA

• Stanley Fyffe Associates
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
Icedog,

That is a cool mini! It goes well with your name.

Stan

SEMPER IN EXCRETIA

Icedog

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »
So, here I am attempting to overcome my first , "Forum related" challenge. Thank you all but right now, specifically Dr. PR.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:53:17 PM by DrollTroll »

Icedog

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »
Thank you Stan. My MINI's name is Blacker (this is my third MINI, the last one was named Black. This one is more black, hence, Blacker). My silly dog is Maxwell.
I now understand how to attach pictures to my Forum posts. (uh oh, DR. PR has perhaps created a monster). But the pictures seem to be either too small or too large. In this post I attempted to attach a photograph but was scolded because the file was too large. Is it possible to reduce file size?

I will open another thread under the proper forum to discuss my very first design drawing (package).

Dr PR

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
You can open an image in mspaint that comes with Windows. There you can reduce the image size and save the drawing again.

mspaint is buried in one of the windows folders so you might have to search for it.

Phil

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »
Windows+R, enter 'mspaint' in the 'Open' field, and click OK.

I took the liberty of resizing your image so no one has to scroll across the screen to view it. Generally, you won't want your images more than 1000 pixels wide or so, unless you've got some very fine detail to show off. So photos you take with your cell phone or other camera will probably need to be shrunk down to reasonable size.

Are those values radius or diameter (sorry, not a tailpipe enthusiast, so I don't know the basics)?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:57:40 PM by DrollTroll »
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Icedog

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 04:15:19 PM »
Windows+R, enter 'mspaint' in the 'Open' field, and click OK.

I took the liberty of resizing your image so no one has to scroll across the screen to view it. Generally, you won't want your images more than 1000 pixels wide or so, unless you've got some very fine detail to show off. So photos you take with your cell phone or other camera will probably need to be shrunk down to reasonable size.

Are those values radius or diameter (sorry, not a tailpipe enthusiast, so I don't know the basics)?

Thank you muchly Mr. Troll. Let's see if I did it right. I think I shrunk a picture of Blacker down to 1000 pixels wide using MS Paint. So I will attach it and we'll see how I did. One problem I have immediately is that I think I shrunk my picture and now I no longer have a high resolution original, only a shrunken one. But, one thing at a time.

Oh, in my sketch, the numbers are the tubing O.D. in inches.

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Yep, that worked. Always use "Save As" and provide a new filename, not the regular "Save" command. That way you keep your original.
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Dr PR

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
OK, the picture is somewhere near a lot of water, and the sign is in English. That narrows it down to about 1/5 of the world. So on what continent do you, Maxwell and Blacker reside? We have folks on the Forum from all over the world.

Phil in Oregon, USA

adriank

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 07:45:28 PM »
Welcome Icedog.
If you've found this forum you are certain to figure out how to get the best out of DesignCad very quickly.
I have to agree with Phil, start working in 2D & get comfortable with that first. I do a lot in 3D now but the easiest way for me to construct a 3D model is to produce 2D drawings first and then 'project' them into 3D. Think as if you are in a physical workshop - make 2D drawings of components (flanges etc) and then put them together in 3D using DCads very impressive 'handles' feature.

Phil's our most treasured possession on this forum - but he's no Sherlock Holmes!
I see your car is left-hand drive, so, English speaking countries that drive on the wrong side of the road?

You are either in USA, Canada, Nigeria/Ghana/Sierra Leone or The Philippines!
There are not enough people in shot for the Philippines & it does not look hot enough for Africa...

Adrian from Thailand (via UK and NZ)