Author Topic: Inverse selection  (Read 246 times)

Dr PR

Inverse selection
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:01:07 AM »
In the Selection Filter it would be good to have an "inverse selection" capability. This would be to select anything other than the particular type of feature in the right hand selection list.

For this to work the feature types with check boxes below the selection window would have to work to enable/disable particular types of features. For example, suppose I want to select everything except a particular color. I would add that color to the selection list, disable all but the "Select by Color" option in the check boxes below the selection window (assuming that other selections were enabled), and then select "Inverse Selection" (or whatever it is called).

Then I could go to the main window, drag a selection box around a group of objects (or use "Select All") and only objects that were not the chosen color would be selected.

I just came across the need for this. I have a group that was behaving peculiarly. I noticed that it was on multiple layers when it should all have been on a single layer. One of the layers was layer zero - a dead give-away that some part of the group had been screwed up by a solid Boolean operation.

The solid Boolean operations often fragment the resulting solid between the original layer and layer zero. In addition, the parts on layer zero are converted to the "Aluminum" material that displays dark gray in wireframe mode (with a white background) and as light gray with shading. BUG!

By disabling all layers except layer zero I could see an object (plane) that rendered dark gray in wireframe (all parts of the group should have been another color). I could not select the object because it was a part of a solid that was mostly on a disable layer. So I opened the Layers Dialog and use "Unlock All" to allow the hidden parts of the solid to be selected. I then selected the solid and moved it to another empty layer for further dissection.

Then I exploded the solid. This put all parts on a single layer, but I needed to select the wayward plane. But there were lots of planes in the exploded solid. Unfortunately, the errant plane was somewhere down in the display list so when the parts displayed in wireframe the dark lines were hidden by parts of the normal color. How am I supposed to find the one plane in the mass of other planes?

If I could open the Selection Filter, select the color of all the other planes and use an "exclusion" or "invert selection" option I could select all objects that were not the chosen color. In this case it would be the one plane that had been screwed up by the solid Boolean function.

In this case I can use the Selection Filter to select all of the parts of the solid that are the right color and move them to another unoccupied layer. This will leave the mangled parts on the original layer where I can deal with them. Then I can enable the other layer, move all parts to a single layer, and then combine them back into a solid. But the "inverse selection" option would eliminate these steps.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

Re: Inverse selection
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »
In the Selection Filter it would be good to have an "inverse selection" capability. This would be to select anything other than the particular type of feature in the right hand selection list.
You can do this now:
1] Select All or drag select a region (with the filter closed)...
2] In the Selection Filter choose what you want excluded...
3] Click 'Exclude Selection' (lower right buttons). This will deselect all the specified stuff.

I noticed that it was on multiple layers when it should all have been on a single layer.
Since about v25 the Info Box has the 'occupied layers' only button (up top just below the layers field). If you make a selection and enable this then click the down arrow of the layers field (above) only the layers of the stuff selected will be displayed. If you then click one of the layers all the selected stuff will go on that layer (from what I can tell the nested-group-container will also be moved to that layer).

It would have been nice if when you hover the mouse over a layer the selected stuff on that layer would highlight somehow but this is not the case.

Lar

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Duh!

How long has the "Excluded Selection" button been there?

I looked back and it is in V15!

Thanks Lar.

Phil

Lar

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
The Selection Filter is rear in that it originated with lots of relevant features (or at least had them by the next version) without years and years of the users having to ask for them.

The only thing it now lacks, in my opinion, is the otherwise ubiquitous 'same as' finger that you can click on entities to pick up a property from. So, for example, if the color tab is active you can click the 'same as' button then click on an entity and its color will appear in the right column (and the finger would remain active until you press Esc, so you can choose other colors without having to go back and forth).

Lar
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:01:44 AM by Lar »

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:21:32 AM »
LAr,

The selection filter would be useful. When drawing I sometimes randomly pick a color from the color tool bar, and occasionally from the color chart. Of course I have no idea what the RGB values are for these colors. So I may end up with several different but similar shades of a color. The Selection Filter shows all of these colors and lists the RGB values, but that isn't very helpful for picking objects with whatever color they happen to have (not always obvious when working in 3D shaded views).

The finger would allow us to say "use that one" without worrying which particular shade the color is.

Phil