Author Topic: Hurricane Matthew  (Read 797 times)

Lar

Hurricane Matthew
« on: October 04, 2016, 08:12:13 AM »
Well, folks, it's been beautiful all yesterday and this morning but now I am finally seeing some rain. The hurricane is hitting Haiti right now and, according to Google Earth, is about 460 miles away, so I don't know if this rain is directly a part of Matthew or just some side action (before yesterday it was raining quite a bit). The sky is overcast but still very blue.

Matthew isn't scheduled to get here (New Providence Is, where Nassau is) until around 8am Thursday but the southern Bahamas will be feeling the effects tomorrow.

I will keep you posted long as I have an internet signal.

Lar
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:24:35 AM by Lar »

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Hurricane Matthew
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
Hunker down and come out safe the other side!
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Lar

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »
Thanks DT,

...But be warned, hurricanes that originated in the Bahamas (eg, Katrina) or passes through most of the Bahamas (eg, Sandy) hit the US pretty hard, so keep your fingers crossed over there. I will be keeping mine crossed over here.

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
Lar,  Is the Bermuda triangle isosceles or equilateral?    PS Good luck with that storm.

Lar

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
Lar,  Is the Bermuda triangle isosceles or equilateral?
Sam, the answer to that was coming to me but it got lost on the way.

PS Good luck with that storm.
Thanks. I'll hold on to that.

Lar

samdavo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:10 AM »
140 mph? sheesh

Lar

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
Well, according to Google Earth, Matthew is just entering the southern Bahamas right now, about 260 miles south of me, and is scheduled to get here by 8am tomorrow. The sky is overcast but still blue and it's raining lightly on and off with no wind.

The biggest problem right now is of the 5 gas stations within 2+ miles of me, only one is still open and everyone who didn't get gas yesterday is in a traffic line trying to get to that one station. Although I knew that, of all the gas stations in New Providence Is., if one is still open it would be that particular station, I actually tried 3 others before that one because I knew it would be crowded (and it's the closest one to me). I had to take a bunch of side streets and cross a vacant lots to get as close as I could then walk the rest of the way with 2 gas containers.

Lar

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
Thinking of you Larry! I hope you make it through unscathed.

Also, if any of our readers are in Florida, or anywhere on the southeastern coastlines, please take all necessary precautions. I don't want to lose any members of our little community here.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:37:58 PM by DrollTroll »
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

samdavo

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »
Storm Surge defined here :-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_surge
including the two components of storm surge, namely 
a) fetch of winds spiraling inward toward the storm, and
b) a low-pressure-induced dome of water drawn up under and trailing the storm's center;

also
c) shallowness and orientation of the water body relative to storm path, and
d) the timing of tides

and including an example of summing "normal tide" to "storm surge" (2 cents).
I note that the storm surge for Matthew could reach 9 feet (!)

PS You would assume that storm surge would be worse for Florida than for islands off the US coast, based on coastal shape. (?)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:37:06 PM by samdavo »

samdavo

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »
I post that mainly for my own thinking aloud purposes - because I once calculated the low pressure effect, (lifting the dome of water) to be less than 1 foot - hence the majority appears to be the wind driven effect ...  plus timing and height of tide of course.   

Hopefully, with almost quarter moon (rather than full or new), there won;t be a king tide (?)

(edit) oops - Normal atmospheric pressure 1013 millibar,  Matthew 935 (?) - I think that might be more like 2.5 feet due to the lifting effect.

PS Just reading about this, Sandy apparently (also) had storm surge of 9 feet - and Katrina had 25 feet !! - sheesh.
http://time.com/4521888/hurricane-matthew-storm-surge/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:10:30 PM by samdavo »

samdavo

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 02:06:49 PM »
Good News is that Matthew now down form Cat 4 to Cat 3;  Bad News ditto.
https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3471
By: Jeff Masters , 4:16 PM GMT on October 07, 2016
Record to near-record storm surge possible in far north Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina

...good news/bad news situation: while the ERC reduced the hurricane’s peak winds from Category 4 to Category 3, strong winds have now spread out over a wider area, which will increase the storm surge, due to all the extra water that will be put in motion by an expanded wind field. To illustrate, tropical storm-force winds extended 160 miles to the northeast of Matthew’s center at 11 am Thursday, but by 11 am Friday, these winds had expanded to extend outwards 185 miles from the center. At 11 am EDT Friday, the coast from just south of Cape Canaveral, FL to just south of Wilmington, NC was under a storm surge warning under a prototype NHC system expected to become operational next year. As Matthew moves northward, the northeast winds ahead of it will pile water against the coastline, leading to what could be record or near-record storm surges in some areas.

Lar

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Hi guys, all is well, just testing my internet (my modem was damaged). Will update...

Lar

bdeck

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
Hi Lar,

Glad to see you made it back to cyberspace. We were about to send out the Saint Bernards, but it was too far to swim.

Maybe we'll send them to look for Per instead. Here's hoping he's OK too.

bd

Lar

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 06:16:36 PM »
Thanks bdeck. Matthew was no joke! Let it be known that hence forth St. Matthew will be known as The Patron Saint of Tree Haters.

Lar

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 08:24:12 PM »
Hello Lar,

Glad to hear that you survived Matthew.
Dempsey