Author Topic: Save Image  (Read 463 times)

Dr PR

Save Image
« on: September 02, 2016, 08:07:51 AM »
For some reason the image on the screen still influences the image we get when we use "File/Image/Save Image File," even when we do not use the  "Current Display" option.

For example, if the image on the screen is OpenGL Gouraud and I try to save an image as "Smooth Shading" the result is screwed up. I have to switch to Wireframe screen display to get the Smooth Shading option to work with image file save. This makes no sense.

This is very annoying when we need to view the screen image in Gouraud or Phong to set the light angles and shadows before saving the image file, and then we have to switch to Wireframe to save the file. It is especially annoying with large files where it may take a minute or two for the screen to redraw when we change to Wireframe view. Then switching back to Gouraud or Phong takes another minute or two ... And more time wasted changing back to Wireframe ...

Save Image File should work totally independent of the screen image if the "Current Display" option is not selected. We should be able to select the optimum screen view for setting up the image and then be able to save the image file without all the extra needless make work.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Save Image
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
When you do Save Image with OpenGL shading active, any shaded or hidden-line output will be done with OpenGL; if OpenGL is not active, you'll get native GDI shading or hidden line.

An alternative to using Save Image is to use one of the "Image Print Drivers" I referenced in this topic:
http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=6556.0

When using the Print command, you get to choose whether or not to use OpenGL shading in the result.
25 years with DesignCAD

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
I installed PDFCreator on my Win 10 laptop. I'll give it a try. If I don't have to continually switch the display format it will save me a lot of time.

However, I do most of my work on my Win 7 machine that has no network connection. Don't know if there is a way to install it on a machine with no network connection.

Phil
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:38:03 PM by Dr PR »

JJG

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »
...Don't know if there is a way to install it on a machine with no network connection.

Phil
Sure PDFcreator can be installed and works on a no network connection : it works as well on mine at work ! (download it on a USB, and transfer it on the desired machine)

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
Well, I copied the setup file to my Win 7 machine and executed it, and it failed, saying it "couldn't resolve a network address." Then I went on to try to install a Microsoft network program and hung indefinitely.

Phil

JJG

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »
maybe you have to uncheck the "update automatic option" ?

Dr PR

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
I don't recall seeing that in the setup program. Setup runs a second or two, with just a tiny green line in the progress bar before it halts.

I'll go back and see if they have an off-line version, but I am not optimistic. Most programmers these days assume that all computers are connected to the Internet - as if they can't imagine anything else.

Of course NO secure computer is connected to a network. The folly of that has been demonstrated countless times with hacked systems and pilfered data. Even the NSA can't protect their systems. Some day computer folks will wise up and separate internal business networks from external access. Computers are cheap enough that anyone who needs Internet access can have a separate machine for that - you can even do it with a cell phone!

Phil