Author Topic: Construction Entities (regular entities with 'construction line' properties)  (Read 389 times)

Lar

How about being able give regular entities the non-printing and turn-off-able properties of 'construction lines'. This way we can leave those little (or big) lines, circles, dimensions, etc, that are there for construction purposes but we don't want to get printed.

Construction Lines are cool but very distracting (since they have infinite length). Most times we just need a short 2-point line whose (both) ends we can snap to, or a multi-segment ortho line that displays the relative offset between 2 points, or a circle of a certain radius that can be easily changed later, or a dimension showing a measurement you can never remember, etc.

When we create these things now we have to delete them soon afterwards, then most likely later we have to create then delete 'em again. It would be nice to just leave them there but they don't print.

Lar

Dr PR

Lar,

I too find "Construction lines" pretty much useless - no end points to use as reference points. I don't think I have ever used them except to experiment with.

From day one with Prodesign I have created "reference" layers where I put ordinary 'reference" lines, circles, etc. I may use multiple reference layers to set up different geometric constructions or reference lines for different parts of the drawing. I usually lock these layers so these reference features cannot be modified accidentally. Then I just turn off these layers when I don't want to see them or print them.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Yep, what Phil said.

I find reference layers to be particularly useful for 3D constructions; central axes of cylinders, point marks for centers of spheres or corners of boxes, reference circles for fillets/sweeps, etc.
25 years with DesignCAD

Lar

I tried using other layers for construction stuff but they only get left behind when I move things around. Later on I'll see a line floating somewhere and I'll have no idea what its doing there. If they were on the same layer as what they are assisting they would get moved too.

Lar

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
I could see a possible use for a 'no-print' flag on an entity, but if you make it invisible in the on-screen drawing, how you going to select it later to make it visible again?
25 years with DesignCAD

Lar

... how you going to select it later to make it visible again?
Toggle their visibility using the 'show construction lines' command in the view menu.

In my case I would probably always leave them on (except for a presentation, maybe) since I tend to forget where I have construction lines if I don't see them. Now'a days I try to remember to give my construction entities a fixed lineweight of 2.00 mm so they always jump out at me no matter the zoom level.

Lar
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:04:24 AM by Lar »

Lar

Actually, what I can do in the meantime is make all my construction entities a unique linestyle/color combination then select everything to print but use the selection filter to deselect that combination.

Thanks, guys.

Lar