Author Topic: True Isometric grid and inclined dimensions are lacking in DesignCAD  (Read 274 times)

JJG

I should mention here that although DesignCAD claims to have a Isometric (magnetic) grid , this is totally false.
Indeed, the so-called Isometric grid is in fact a perpendicular grid that is 30 inclined.
What is somewhat surprising, and ... completely useless!

Isometric grid (as it is implemented in almost all other CAD, including AutoCAD even in light-version) is a magnetic grid with vertical and two 30 symmetrical directions relative to the vertical.
It's usefull for example to draw ISO Piping, or any Isometric-perspective drawing in 2D-mode.
See for example this article : http://www.wermac.org/documents/isometric.html

I wish therefore that we can have this magnetic grid in DesignCAD, and even more:
In AutoCAD-light, it is possible to draw some "isometric perspective dimensions," or any inclined dimensions with "3D-text" and arrows projected in X, or Y or Z direction, and apply them a units multiplier or a fixed text.
To do that, actualy, in DesignCAD, it's required to work in 3D-mode, then to save as  2D-mode, and then group or solid-define the entities of the dimensions, which are exploded during save as, that is to say you can't export them as dimensions in dwg or dxf export.

Please, add this capabilities to DesignCAD, to give him chances in industry-world !

Attached are 2 dcd-files to show what I'm describing above.

JJG

Re: True Isometric grid and inclined dimensions are lacking in DesignCAD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »
In addition, an example of true Isometric grid, which is in layer 20 (locked).

Lar

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
Thanks for the isometric grid vectors, JJG. I don't usually draw 2d isometrics ...I would draw the 3d and just view it in isometric... but I'm sure I will make use of it at some point.

But thanks to your iso grid vectors I discovered a way to used dcad's regular grid to fake an iso grid:
...Set the minor X grid size to 1, the minor Y to 0.577, the major X and Y divisions to 2 and use 2 colors you prefer (I go with very light gray and magenta). Then in the 'angle constraint' dialog activate the isometric settings (0, 30, 90, 150).

This way you are constrained to draw at the typical isometric angles while having a grid to snap to for sizes.

See the attached image where I have your iso grid vectors on top of dcad's snap grid. I colored your vectors green to distinguish from my very light gray minor grid line.

...Of course, this doesn't excuse DT&Co from implementing a true iso grid...

Lar
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:19:51 PM by Lar »

JJG

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks Lar for your interest in this.

...Of course, this doesn't excuse DT&Co from implementing a true iso grid...
And for 2D projected dimensions, I hope too !

Of course, the use remains related to the industry trades, and I can find some tricks and tips like you, or through Basicad, but for other users, and for the 2D projected dimensions to be imported or exported, it would be great if it was soon implemented in DesingCAD.