Author Topic: Razer Tartarus  (Read 974 times)

dsp

Razer Tartarus
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:26 PM »
Hi Guys new to the forum, what a lot of great info here. I've been looking thru a number of posts on short cut keys macros etc. I am surprised that there is no mention of anyone using a Razer Tartarus or something similar ie: game pad. Now I am not a professional designer by no means, I only use 2D for line drawings for electrical work.  I picked up this game pad from a computer store after the guy telling me you can use this for short cut keyboard commands. So I bought it to try it and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread.  It has 15 keys which are programmable. You can also select  from one of 8 Keymaps which gives you a total of 90 short cut keys. Mind you it would take some practice to remember all of them but I made a chart in Excel to keep track of them. Not sure if it would work as good in 3D but a keyboard short cut is what it.  Anyhow, I find it very useful with one hand on the mouse and the other on the game pad..  By the way I'm not a gamer so I was really glad that it worked on Cad.  Hope I posted this in the right spot and if any one has used this and has discovered any pitfalls before I have please let me know. I've only had it for a couple of weeks but seems great to me.  ;D

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Re: Razer Tartarus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:36:54 AM »
Years ago, I had a programmable keyboard that did much of what that does, but I didn't find it that useful.  Designcad's ability to assign key combos and run macros made it unnecessary, although a single key-press for a macro is appealing.

Lar

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »
Bob, you can assign single keys to macros, just that most single keys come pre-assigned to commands. I think many of the numbers and some F keys come un-assigned but if you really want to use one of the pre-assigned keys just re-assign that command to something else (if possible just use the same key with control keys) then assign the macro to the single key.

To access the macros go to Options dialog> Keyboard and highlight 'Macros' in the lower section of 'Categories'. Click the 'Directory...' button  (right side) to change from the default macro folder.

Lar

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
Or give your macros single-letter names and run 'em from the command line, a la 'spacebar "C" '
2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Bob P

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »
Lar,

You are correct, of course, but I got tired of editing the key map with every new release.  Now I just have macros that are shared among all the releases as they come out.  An initial spacebar initiates the macro, even named with just a single letter. It's been said before, but DC's flexibility like that is one of its most valuable assets.
*DT and I think alike... ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:50:50 PM by Bob P »

Lar

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
... but I got tired of editing the key map with every new release.
You can save the customized key map. In the dialog box there's a "Save...' button. After customizing click this and enter a path and name. Then when a new version comes along just click the 'Load...' button, open the saved file and all the customization will be loaded. I've been doing this since forever.

At any time you can add new shortcuts and then save to the same file, or different files for different versions if you prefer.

Lar
(remember: after customizing you should click 'save as default' then close and reopen dcad to make sure the customization sticks)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:43:42 PM by Lar »

Bob P

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »
... but I got tired of editing the key map with every new release.
You can save the customized key map. In the dialog box there's a "Save...' button. After customizing click this and enter a path and name. Then when a new version comes along just click the 'Load...' button, open the saved file and all the customization will be loaded. I've been doing this since forever.

At any time you can add new shortcuts and then save to the same file, or different files for different versions if you prefer.

Lar
(remember: after customizing you should click 'save as default' then close and reopen dcad to make sure the customization sticks)

I've always been reluctant to do that, in case some new command has been added in the new version.

Lar

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 02:46:55 PM »
Well, to each his own, I guess (and dcad caters to that concept so well).

For me, missing out on my shortcut fix for a few new commands that may or may not come with shortcuts is a no-no. If I find myself using the new commands a lot I can always give them shortcuts.

Lar

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
FWIW, Sketchup can also be setup with single keystroke hotkeys, and the trick then is to make them the same or similar to DCAD.  Incidentally, I started to do that, but, given that I only use SketchUp for presentation (i.e. of drawings or 3D objects fully drawn in DCAD), I never really completed it.  Like a few other projects around here ... :)

Dr PR

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »
dsp,

Be warned that some "smart mouse" programs that allow you to assign functions to buttons will crash DesignCAD and other programs. The most notorious culprit was Microsoft's "intellimouse" program (ipoint.com).

So if you get squirrely behavior or frequent crashes be sure to disable the game pad to see if that solves the problem.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987