Author Topic: Layer Groups should save the status of the layers.  (Read 1148 times)

Lar

Layer Groups should save the status of the layers.
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »
Layer Groups should save the on/editable/uneditable status of the layers in the group and also which layer is to be the current one. Because of this, activating a layer group would, by default, set the new current layer first, then turn everything else off, then turn on the group layers while making them either editable or uneditable. BUT, the user can also elect to turn on the group without turning off the layers already on (maintaining the saved statuses of the group, except current), or turn on the group with all the layers of that group being uneditable, or turning OFF the layers of that group.

I have a macro now that can do all this (but not as layer groups) but it saves the layer statuses as a separate macro so I am always accumulating more and more layer macros (since each drawing may require slight changes from a 'standard' layer group).

As an added feature each layer group can save an image preview of the drawing showing the layers (like how the symbol load dialog box saves image previews). I also have a macro that does this but it's complicated by having to save external files.

Lar

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Layer Groups should save the status of the layers.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »
So, by what you are saying there could be different layer groups containing the exact same set of layers, but with different ones of them editable or locked, and a different being the current layer?

I would expect any layer group would by default turn on the visibility of all the layers it contains, but I can see where some of them would always want to be locked each time the group is activated.

I have not used this feature much yet, so I wonder how many have found it useful as it is, and would need this additional functionality?

User since Pro-design

Lar

Re: Layer Groups should save the status of the layers.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:21:49 PM »
So, by what you are saying there could be different layer groups containing the exact same set of layers, ...
This is possible now,

...   but with different ones of them editable or locked, and a different being the current layer?
I didn't think about that application, but yes.

I would expect any layer group would by default turn on the visibility of all the layers it contains, but I can see where some of them would always want to be locked each time the group is activated.
Right now you can affect all the layers of a group by clicking the icons in the group header of the layer dialog or the layer toolbox (when 'layer groups' is the filter), or you can just expand a group and work with individual or multiple layers as you would in the normal layer mode. To make a layer in a group the current one you must expand the group and click the pencil icon for that layer (or just click the pencil icon for that layer in normal mode).

What layer groups do now is bring needed layers together for easy access from one to the other, and saves the user having to remember which layers are needed for a particular task.

As an extreme example, lets say a group contain only layers 1 and 2000. By expanding this group you can manipulate both layers together or individually without having to scroll back and forth between the two.

Example: Let's say the vast majority of times when you work with the two layers mentioned above you want 1 to be current and 2000 to be on but uneditable, and everything else off. Right now, upon opening the layer dialog in normal mode, you would have to scroll to 1 from what ever layer is current, make 1 current, then click 'all off' at the bottom of the layer dialog, then scroll to the end of the dialog and make 2000 uneditable. If in layer group mode you would expand this group then do the same steps I just outlined, minus all the scrolling.

Now imagine for a particular task you have a group consisting of 10, maybe 20 non-consecutive layers and for that task you always want a certain layer current, certain others editable and the remainder undeitable. Right now a layer group will bring all those layers together but you would still have to remember the statuses of each member and have to manually set them up.

What I'm suggesting is just clicking on a layer group will do all that for you, including turning off all the layers that are not in the group - by default.

Non-default options will allow you to activate the group without turning everything else off, or turn the group members off without affecting the other layers (ie, say you are doing a different task but you need to compare the layers of our example group briefly. So you activate the example group, compare its layers against your current task, then when done you turn off the group and continue working at the current task).

You would still have the option of expanding the group and manipulating individual layers of that group (eg, you may briefly want another layer to be current, or change the editable/uneditable status of a few others. Then when you want things back to normal you hit the default button (for that layer group) and your default setup is back.

I know all of this is feasible because I do these things now with macros but it would be nice for it to be built in.

Lar
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:25:00 PM by Lar »