Author Topic: DesignCAD Tutorials  (Read 1887 times)

The Scud

DesignCAD Tutorials
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
A couple of questions.

I am working on new work and the presentation of and am wondering what you would like to see in tutorials?

1. Would you prefer a word only document?
2. Would you prefer to see the tutorial in mp4 format?
3. A mixture of word and mp4 to explain some of the 'hard to get to grips with' areas? The mp4 would allow you to repeat.
4. As an html document using text and mp4. This will require registration with log in.

Would you like to see as you progress through the tutorial a series of questions requiring you to test your knowledge before moving on?

I am presently working on a couple of options and would like to know your thoughts.
BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Intel HD Graphics 4000 NVidia GeForce GT 740M
Desktop AMD A8 R7 64 bit Win 10 with Quadro K620

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Re: DesignCAD Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:49:06 AM »
What about an HTML document?  With that format, you could embed the videos, create hyperlinks to related subjects or more detailed descriptions, and still have nearly all the formatting options of Word.  Alternately (for security reasons), you can do the same things with a PDF.

JJG

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:16:26 AM »
I'm following Bop P 100% on the HTML, or better, PDF (including PDF3d).

The Scud

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the feed back fellas.

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:03:30 PM »
Just a warning concerned the use of HTML or PDF.

If the tutorials are split over multiple HTML pages or PDF files it becames difficult to do "global" searches to find something that is not necessary in the title.
Dempsey

JJG

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »
Yes, you are right, Dempsey, but most of the times, you can "take" the text of a HTML or a PDF (Copy and Past) and past it in a Word (or Writer) document, to do the searches to find something that is not necessary in the title.
And the reading of a HTML or a pdf is easier (ie more comfortable) than a word-document, for zoom etc ...

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
Misunderstanding. I can search a single HTML or PDF with Ctrl-F just fine. It gets more cumbersome if a tutorial is split over multiple files.

Dempsey

The Scud

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »
I am working of a couple things there fellas, so you need to bear with me so I get it right.

preventec47

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
What I have seen as the best implementation was a "Help" function while using the program that sensed
generally what command or function you were involved with and instead of referring you to the regular help
files.....  link you to a video showing how to use that function including the many options etc.   
To an extent also  the regular help files whereby you lookup by topic matter or subject and you then
get to choose to read the examples and explanations or choose to look at video explaining and showing
functionality etc.

The Scud

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »
What I have seen as the best implementation was a "Help" function while using the program that sensed
generally what command or function you were involved with and instead of referring you to the regular help
files.....  link you to a video showing how to use that function including the many options etc.   
To an extent also  the regular help files whereby you lookup by topic matter or subject and you then
get to choose to read the examples and explanations or choose to look at video explaining and showing
functionality etc.
I also use some high end CAD packages (SolidWorks and CREO) of which one has a 'direct' link to 'Help' in a function and the other where you can type in a word and the system searches which is what you are implying. CREO is very good at this to a point. DesignCAD and its cousin TurboCAD with their respective 'Help' both work as you know by the 'Find' function in Adobe. To be be brutally honest, none of them I favour because you still need to be specific in what you are asking - picking the right words to use in your search. My tutorials each lesson now has video - some with sound (updated tutorials which are in progress now will have sound) and these are proving to be most helpful. I will look at what else can be done to help you.