Author Topic: Changes that I would like to see  (Read 3035 times)

Dr PR

Changes that I would like to see
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
Here is a list of changes I would like to see in DesignCAD.

1. Save program options so they can be loaded into new versions. It is a real nuisance to have to reload all options settings every time a new version comes out. It would be nice if all of this information was saved in a single file in a common location so all settings could be restored in new versions just by loading the single file.

2. Save drawing settings with the drawing so they don't change every time I open and close a different drawing. This applies especially to the cursor settings. If I have set some specific cursor steps in a drawing, then open another drawing and go back to the first the cursor settings are all screwed up! PITA to have to reset them every time I open another library drawing just to copy/paste something into the original drawing. All drawing settings should revert to the original settings that existed before the second drawing was opened.

In other words, when multiple drawings are open each should retain it's own settings when I switch between drawings.

3. I would like to see more than 15 files in the recent file list. 25 to 30 would be better.

4. Stop multiple redraws! This is far and away the biggest nuisance with large (>30 Mbyte) drawings! If the main window is shaded and I change to Wireframe ALL four windows redraw over and over and over and over - at least four times each! In a 50 Mbyte drawing this process takes 15-20 seconds on a fast machine - double that if you are working in Point Select mode and something is selected. In a really large drawing (>250 Mbytes) it can take several minutes for all of this thrashing to finish. This is ridiculous!

There is no reason that the other three windows should be redrawn when the display in the fourth window is changed if there are no changes to the drawing.

As it is now, before I switch from a shaded view to Wireframe I first open the Layers dialog, select an empty layer, click "Hide All" and then close the Layers dialog. Then I change to Wireframe mode, open the Layers dialog again and enable the desired layers for viewing. Cumbersome as this is, it is MUCH faster than waiting for the program to redraw all windows over and over and over and over ...

Note: When you actually change a drawing all open windows are redrawn to show the change. But the program is smart about this - only the affected parts of the windows are redrawn and not the entire window. Even in huge drawings (>250 Mbytes) this process is very fast.

5. There is something going on when I use "Set View By Drawing Center" that causes the program to miss the click on the "OK" button. I almost always have to click on it twice. This is a nuisance.

Phil

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:24:22 AM by Dr PR »
DesignCAD user since 1987

JJG

Re: Changes that I would like to see
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
I support the wishes of Phil too !
 ;)
And please, re-introduce the "group layers visibility controlled by host layer" capability (in tab "view" of Options-windows) as it was in v19, please, please !!!

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
Here is more about the multiple redraw problem.

When I switch from Gouraud shading to Wireframe in the main window the sequence of redraws is this:

1. First the main window changes to Wireframe with a quick, normal redraw.

2. Then the main window redraws again in Wireframe, but this time it appears that each layer is redrawn one after another. This is fairly slow - taking several seconds in a 50 Mbyte drawing. I can see each layer appear in sequence.

3. Then each other open window (top, front, side) is redrawn layer at a time, taking several seconds each.

4. The main window redraws again layer at a time.

5. Each other open window is redrawn again layer at a time.

6. The main window redraws again layer at a time.

7. Each other open window is redrawn again layer at a time.

8. The main window redraws again layer at a time.

9. Then  finally, each other open window is redrawn again layer at a time.

One normal redraw followed by 16 slow redraws. I think I am safe in calling this a bug!

Phil

JJG

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
I would add that such multiple redraw are already in V23.11 (current french version).

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
JJG,

It has been a problem since V19 - at least. Shure do wish they would fix it.

This is one reason I have been a supporter of the RedSDK upgrade. It will require a major rewrite of the display code and I hoped maybe this bug will get lost in the shuffle. But think it may have actually gotten worse.

Phil

bdeck

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 05:49:54 AM »
One normal redraw followed by 16 slow redraws. I think I am safe in calling this a bug!

Hi Phil,

Here's a macro I wrote 8 years ago to get around the problem, so I guess the problem has been there a while. (I dont even use 3d).

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=913.0

Not a great solution, but better than nothing. (The macro toggles between one window and a 4-window tile. so dont use it with any custom windows, they'll get erased). Wonder how others deal with the problem. Dunno if this gets rid of ALL the extra redraws, but it should get at least 75% of them.

bd
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:16:14 AM by bdeck »

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »
bd
I tried to download your zip file, but was presented with this message :-

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /nogo/dc/vm.zip on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
cheers

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 05:19:41 AM »
It worked for me.  I copied it to my own website.  Link here:

http://www.wwslalom.net/dc/vm.zip

samdavo

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 05:59:19 AM »
Thanks Bob.

bdeck

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
BobP, Thanks.

Sam,
I've tried clicking the link in IE and Firefox, in Google and StartPage, Open and Save, and all seem to work for me.

Maybe my server has problems with requests from down under. Beats me.

Does the link in the following post fail as well?

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=129.0

bd

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:29:51 AM by bdeck »

samdavo

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
bd
No problem with that one - slightly better if I stand on my head :)

cheers
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:41:40 PM by samdavo »