Author Topic: Dimension Lines and Leaders  (Read 3659 times)

bdeck

Dimension Lines and Leaders
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
When drawing a dimension having Text Movement set to  "Dim Line With Text,"  when the text is moved far outside the extension lines, it would be good to have a leader (colinear with the Dim Line) connecting the text to the dimension. This was easy to implement in a macro in prior versions. That does not seem to be possible now.  A setting to automatically generate a leader when the text is moved outside the dimension lines (even if available only in a macro) would be an improvement.

In the current version, even the "add leader" setting will not add a leader if the text is colinear with the Dim Line. 

Also, there does not seem to be any way to eliminate the dimension line between the extension lines when arrows are positioned outside the extension lines. That should also be an option.

These are very small issues that would improve the look of a DC drawing.

Thanks,

bd
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:30:41 PM by bdeck »

bdeck

Re: Dimension Lines and Leaders
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
BTW,

While some functionality is simply broken in later versions, the only functionality I have found that seems to have been permanently sacrificed when DC moved to a 5-point dimension format was the ability to set unequal extension line gaps, as shown in the attachment, a feature I need, at most, about once every 5 years. (Of course, in prior versions, that could be done only in a macro)

All in all, aside from a few annoying bugs (which I presume will someday be fixed) the move to the new dimension format was not so terrible.

BD

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
bd,
I wasn't aware of V17 's capabilities, especially those that have since been deleted, (presumably in favour of simplifications).

Just "chewing the fat",  I find it interesting (in V22 and / or V24) that you can select a dimension, and go to point-select mode,  - and the 5 points you mention can each be moved around to change the look to some extent "after the event".

However there can be a gap in the extension line as you say.

One "sorta solution" ...
Clumsy as hell, but assuming you don't want to explode that dimension (i.e. you want it to remain as a dynamic dimension, which automaically changes if you rescale the drawing), then you can draw an extension line, and make a Group of "dynamic dimension plus extension line vector"

But pretty inefficient I guess. (2 cents)

bdeck

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi Sam,

Equal xline gaps can be changed in the Infobox.

For unequal gaps one can just move the data point of the dimension away from the object in point select mode, as shown in the attachment. For something I do so rarely, that's ok with me. The dimension is not "associated", but still pretty dynamic, so long as it is measuring in an ortho direction.

And I'm old enough to still care about disk space, so the approx 50% reduction in file size that can result from a smaller dimension format is nothing to sneeze at.

And the "Move Dim Line with Text" setting in point select mode is a big improvement over prior versions. (something that should have been done 15 years ago.) I spend all my time in point select mode, but  I'm wondering if there is any reason why this feature should not be available even when not in point select mode.

bd
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:16:10 PM by bdeck »

bdeck

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
  I find it interesting (in V22 and / or V24) that you can select a dimension, and go to point-select mode,  - and the 5 points you mention can each be moved around to change the look to some extent "after the event".

That is another buggy area in my version 24 express that was never a problem with versions 14-17.

Often times, the only way I can get point select to work on a dimension, is if I first move the dimension to the back of the entity order. I have to do that so often that I keep a macro handy for just that purpose. Really annoying when the dimension is the only entity selected, and gravity will still not select a point on the dimension.

Am I the only one who has that problem?

Here's the macro I use:

Code: [Select]
'bb.d3m
>MoveToBack
{
  }

Dr PR

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
bdeck,

I have seen problems with trying to select objects - not just dimensions. If the view is zoomed in too close I sometimes can't select visible objects. I have to zoom out to select the desired object. But sometimes where things are crowded I can't select what I want the first time. If something else is selected I press "Enter" repeatedly until the desired object is selected.

When I am zoomed in really close the "Enter" key won't cycle between close objects.

I would call this a bug. This is with V24.1.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

bdeck

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:36:50 AM »
When I am zoomed in really close the "Enter" key won't cycle between close objects.

Sounds like an even broader issue than I reported.

What you report was always a feature of DC if one of the objects was already selected, and in point select mode.

My problem is that I often cannot use point select at all to pick a point of a selected dimension unless I first move the dimension to the back of the entity order.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
I've been trying to duplicate your issue of not being able to move dimension points in some existing drawings I have, and so far I cannot.

Are you able to post a drawing in which this effect happens, so we can see if it is repeatable on our installations?
User since Pro-design

bdeck

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:35:50 PM »
Hi RobS,

It is an intermittent issue. I have not been able to predict or duplicate it. When trying to gravity snap to a point on a selected dimension the cursor jumps to a farther point on a farther object.  bb macro fixes it.

I'll watch for it. Again, this is 24 express, not 3dMax.  Dont recall seeing it in v 23. But I never actually used 23.

BD

bdeck

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
Here's an example. Try to grab the top right point of the dimension in this drawing.

It won't grab, unless you move the dim to back.

Just before the problem occurred, the drawing was rescaled with point move. This was not an associated dimension.

BD

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:48:33 AM by bdeck »

Rob S

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
V23, V24.1 and Beta 25 (DC MAX) all OK to move the point of the top leader right end in point select mode.  I was able to move any of the points.

I opened the drawing, selected the dim, clicked on the top right point, and placed it over to the right, no issues.

When you hover over the point, do you get the "target" cursor?
User since Pro-design

bdeck

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »
Hi Rob,

Again, this is DC2Dv24.

I get the target cursor, and I see now that I can grab the point with a left click, but not with gravity (right click).

Never used left click for anything in point select mode before. Time to relearn DC.

BD
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:50:08 AM by bdeck »

Rob S

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »
Same thing in 3D max, gravity snap while selected is what isn't working.

I cannot right-click snap or comma or period snap to this point when the dim is selected.

Gravity snap seems to work fine when it is NOT selected, or selected in NON-ps mode.
User since Pro-design

bdeck

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
Same thing in 3D max, gravity snap while selected is what isn't working.

RobS,

Thanks for the followup.

BD