Author Topic: Dimension color white  (Read 1054 times)

Juergen

Dimension color white
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »
In my application are often bitmaps (photos) to be scaled, few prominent points have to be measured. This works fine with all colors but white.
What is the trick to color a dimension in white? The only thing that works is to recolor the dimension, but this affects only the dimension text, line
and arrows remain black. The print output is better to read with white dimensions over a photo.

Thanks for any advice,

Juergen

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: Dimension color white
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
What is the trick to color a dimension in white?

I'm guessing your background color is also white?  Typically if you select white and dimension with it on a white background, DC will flip the colors to black even though the entity colors are 255,255,255.  But if the color is 5 values different than your background (screen) color, it will show as you expect.    So if your background is white RGB (255,255,255), try RGB(250,255,255).  Or change your background color to 125,125,125 and try pure white.

Juergen

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
MadMax - You're scaring me - Do you have a life outside DC? ;)
Thanks a lot, it works! (250,255,255)

Juergen

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
Do you have a life outside DC? ;)

It goes in cycles. I'll disappear for a while then the siren song (Basiccad) brings me back.

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
To amplify what prl said:

In 2D mode if an object has a color (any color) that is almost the same as the background color (any color) the program will invert the object's color to make it visible against the background. So you either have to select object colors that are distinct from the background color, or change the background to a color distinct from the objects' colors.

In 3D mode wireframe the same rules apply. In 3D rendered images objects are shown in one of the object's colors*:

1. If the shading dialog option "Enable Color Material" is disabled the object will be shaded in the base color it displays in wireframe - except the color won't be inverted to make it more visible against a similar background.

2. If "Enable Color Material" is enabled the object will be shaded with the object's material color.

Objects have two native colors, a base color and a material color. For the "Default" material both colors are the same. For all other materials the base color will default to the material color. However, you can assign another base color if you want - so you can give "White" material objects a red base color. In this case the "White" object will appear red in Wireframe views but will shade white in shaded images.

If you have assigned layer colors the object may ot may not display in the layer's color, depending upon whether the objects's "Color by Layer" option is enabled or disabled.

In 3D mode the color of the light(s) will influence the object's color in shaded views.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Juergen

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 06:25:17 AM »
Phil, thanks for the detailed introduction to these features! I am not so familiar with the special features of DC.
However, I did assume DC is trying to prevent white dimensions on white background. But I didn't consider that the photo is not the real background.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation,

Juergen

Juergen

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 06:27:10 AM »
then the siren song (Basiccad) brings me back.

Oh I see, you are talking about your girl ... ::)

Juergen

Juergen

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:35 AM »
So if your background is white RGB (255,255,255), try RGB(250,255,255).

Short addition:

Setting background to (250,255,255) is good for the viewport only,
printing leads to black dimensions again.

Now I catch selected white (255,255,255) for dimensions and assign 245,255,255.
This works fine.

Kind regards,

Juergen

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:34:29 AM »
Thanks Juergen.  Good feedback.  I know nothing of paperspace but I'll remember that.   I use DesignCAD for 2d drawings (no paperspace needed thankfully), and 3d modeling with presentation of the models handled by other programs.

Juergen

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:14:55 AM »
no paperspace needed thankfully

I use pre formatted templates only (rare scales are generated by the software if required). Outputs go directly to an integrated pdf-printer (not that one integrated in DC ;D) and start with an immediately preview.
Pdfs are always in scale  - so I never use paperspace as well.

Juergen