Author Topic: Smarter uninstaller  (Read 1381 times)

edgar

• Retired-loving every minute of it
    • My Lame Site
Smarter uninstaller
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
I filled up my C drive – maxed it out. While awaiting the arrival of my new drive, to ensure practicing safe hex, I decided to uninstall a couple old versions (21 & 22) while keeping 24 as the only installed DesignCAD. After doing so, I noticed that the extension association entry in the registry for DesignCAD 24 was gone (what I actually saw was that in Windows Explorer the .DCD files had no associated program).

I tried using Windows 7's Default Programs (both the "Set your default programs" – which makes a program the default for all file types it can open and the "Associate a file type…" – which associates specific extensions with applications.Neither DesignCAD nor the the .DCD extension were shown.

Running DesignCAD 24 and checking both Preferences & Options I could find no method of associating DesignCAD with extensions. Searching the help file was no help.

Reinstalling DesignCAD 24 and using the "Repair" feature resolve the issue by redoing the registry entries.

Feature request – upon uninstalling, either do not remove the registry entry for this extension type at all or make sure that no other version of DesignCAD is installed before doing so.
-Ed

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Re: Smarter uninstaller
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
I always use Revo Uninstaller.  There's a free version.  It searches the disk for left-over files and the Registry for every reference.  Never had a problem with it.

edgar

• My Lame Site
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:58:52 PM »
I always use Revo Uninstaller.
I think that would do just the opposite of what I want because it too would remove the generic DesignCAD file association for the extension (unless it is smart enough to look to see if there is another version of DesignCAD installed).
-Ed

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
How many DC file associations do you have?  I've never lost an automatic opening with my preferred version of DC after uninstalling an unused version.

edgar

• My Lame Site
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
How many DC file associations do you have?  I've never lost an automatic opening with my preferred version of DC after uninstalling an unused version.
Currently, I have 4 DesignCAD file associations: .dcd, .dc, .dc2 & .dc3. I did not search the registry before doing the install/repair.
-Ed