Author Topic: Screen recovery  (Read 1015 times)

wisoak

Screen recovery
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »
If my computer decides to take a crap while I'm working in Microsoft Word, the word document I'm working on can be "recovered" to the last time I saved very easily when the program is brought back up without having to go back to the files manually to reload it. When DC decides to take a crap, when I reload the DC program, my saved file does not show up in the 'recent' accessed files at the bottom of the "FILE" drop down menu.

A small request, but is that an enhancement that could be made on future upgrades?

user of DC 3D V.23
V24.0

Lar

Re: Screen recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »
In my experience a file does not show up in the recent file list only if dcad did not close properly during the session when the file was first loaded. This means if you open a file then immediately close and reopen dcad the file will remain in the list even if dcad crashes during this new session. The reason for this is because dcad saves all its configuration info when it is closed, so if it crashes the very latest info is not saved and the previous info is used.

If you use win-7 or 8 you can pin pin dcad to the task bar then when you open important files you can pin them to the dcad icon (and unpin them later). This way, no matter what dcad does you can click on the items in the icon list to open drawings.

To pin the dcad icon: open dcad then right click on its icon in the task bar and click 'pin to task bar'.
To pin a file: open the file in dcad and then right click on the dcad icon, put the mouse on the filename. It will highlight, with a pin icon at the end. Click the pin.

Now, to open a listed drawing just right click the dcad icon and click the filename. If dcad is not running it will start and load the drawing. If dcad is already running the drawing will be loaded.

Note that dcad does not 'recover' drawings, ie reload a crashed drawing like it was after you last laved it. A file will only open as it was last saved, either manually or with the auto-save feature (Options dialog> General tab> autosave timer)

Lar

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
Lar,

I think wisoak is talking about saved files not appearing in the recent files list if DesignCAD crashes.

So you open a file, work on it a while, save it, and then DesignCAD crashes. When you restart DesignCAD the lat file you worked on doesn't appear in the recent files list even though you made changes and saved it.

However, if you open the file it will be like the last time you saved it. Of course, any changes made after the last save will be lost.

A solution to this would be for DesignCAD to "remember" each file as it is saved and not wait until the program shuts down normally.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
I think wisoak is talking about saved files not appearing in the recent files list if DesignCAD crashes.
I realize this Phil, and that's what I was addressing... simple ways of getting easy access to active projectss... if going through the open file dialog is too much of an effort when a file does not appear in the recent file list.

I realize that opening a file, closing dcad and then reopening and clicking 1 in the recent file list (to reopen the file) sounds like  overkill but actually immediately closing/reopening dcad is a good habit to get into for certain reasons, such as when you change some of the settings in the Options dialog and click 'save as default', or when you add buttons to custom toolboxes. If dcad crashes the new defaults are lost and the new buttons are gone. Also if you redefine external symbols or edit referenced bitmaps it is best to bite the bullet and save the open file(s), close/reopen dcad and reopen the file to update the cached references, rather than continuing to work the incorrect version of the object.

Lar