Author Topic: New Topic old subject .STEP files  (Read 4124 times)

corlett

New Topic old subject .STEP files
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:08:30 AM »
Hi all

I have just received a whole load more .STEP files and again and can't use them.  Is this just a European (UK) trend? 

I was at an engineering show this year and tried to interest people in my problem but they just look at you as though you are an idiot for not buying a copy of ProEngineer.

So far the only workable option would be to buy an old copy of TurboCAD and use that just to translate. Hammer v nut anyone.

This is just to test the water "am I the only one" If so I will go quietly.

Clive

PS
Sorry to post this subject again, see  http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=4971.msg33218#msg33218
I have also tried 3DTranslate / TranceMagic / Steptools non offer a cheap working solution.

PPS
I have a viewer now CadFaster|QuickStep 2009.  The 30day license ran out ages ago but it still displays. It won't let you measure something or export to new format.

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: New Topic old subject .STEP files
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Clive, I'm guessing the answer is still as it was in the other topic.  IMSI has plenty to chew on at the moment with DesignCAD.   IMSI would love to sell you a copy of TurboCAD.  If you tell them prl sent you, you may get one of two responses.  Great, here is 50% off, or prl who?  :)

(By the way, this question should go in the looking for help or general discussion area. This  tips and tricks is for "providing" tips and tricks advice).

impulse

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
After reading this I searched for STEP to DWG converters.
Ran across Freecad, on open source Parametric modeler. In its features list is says it will read STP files ( and a great many others) and export to DWG / DXF etc.

So I dwnlded it and installed it, it opened the 3 different STP files I tried, but when I tried to export DWG it complained about missing some module...dont know if that's part of a paid version or what.  I saw no mention of a more capable version. I might have downloaded a development version 0.14.3700 instead of the most recent stable release
I'll look further at it once I get back OFF task!

Its quite likely that the STEP to DWG converter was 2D only any how.

www.freecadweb.org

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
Not the best to draw with, but I think I've mentioned this before.  It's really cheap here...

http://www.amazon.com/ViaCAD-2D-3D-PC-MAC/dp/B005G2RIP2

If you want me to test the conversion accuracy out, send me a file.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:03:43 PM by Bob P »

corlett

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:37:59 AM »
Hi prl

I have tried all the old recommendations and while some work non are low cost and may don't do a good convention job, missing entities, solids now hollow, massive files sizes etc.
I am not after leaning on IMSI at all, but its now a real problem for me, an external program would do fine.
I have got the go ahead to upgrade my 3 seats of DCAD20 to 23. But I can't afford TurboCAD Pro Platinum 21 $1,695.00 and TurboCAD Deluxe 21 makes not file type claims past DXF and Sketchup.

(By the way, this question should go in the looking for help or general discussion area. This  tips and tricks is for "providing" tips and tricks advice).
Sounds to me like I need a 'TIP' on how to convert these files. hence the location, sorry if I misinterpreted that.

Hi Impulse
This is the dominant feature of all low cost solutions 'when push comes to shove they just don't work'
Also my DCADv23.1 can open converted files much more successfully than DACDv20.1

Hi bob P
Yes I remember you did, but I can't remember why that didn't work for me.  Perhaps I should give it another go. Some of the third party files I get are very complex.

Hi All
After posting I had a small success with TransMagic.  This is a program who's purpose is to translate CAD files.
1. A nightmare trying to get a license.
2. The license lasts 5 days (enough to translate my current files)
3. Only importable under DACD23.1
4. No price listed anywhere, so I don't know if its free or £1000.

watch this space.

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:22 AM »
After posting I had a small success with TransMagic.  This is a program who's purpose is to translate CAD files.
1. A nightmare trying to get a license.
4. No price listed anywhere, so I don't know if its free or £1000.

I am always cautious with companies that hide the product cost and offer free trials.  Be careful.

IDG News Service - A trial version of a 3D CAD software package includes "phone-home" functionality that allows the vendor to contact downloaders months later and demand thousands of dollars in licensing fees, according to a class-action lawsuit filed recently in Massachusetts.

Plaintiff Miguel Pimentel, downloaded a trial version of TransMagic's CAD conversion software in 2010, then deleted it the same day, according to the lawsuit. About three months later, ITCA, a Curacao firm specializing in intellectual property enforcement, contacted Pimentel and demanded he pay $10,000 in licensing fees plus recurring maintenance fees or face a $150,000 lawsuit.

ITCA, which lists Microsoft, Siemens and McAfee among its clients, used "various coercive techniques" to attempt to get Pimentel to pay for the software, according to the complaint in the lawsuit, filed March 30 in U.S. District Court in Massachusetts. "ITCA made it clear it knew where [Pimentel] worked and, as long as payment was made, ITCA would not disclose the 'piracy' to his employer," the complaint said.

The article is here: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216270/Lawsuit_Trial_version_of_TransMagic_s_CAD_software_includes_spyware

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »
Clive, looking through TransMagic's North American re-sellers listing, half those links are dead, the other half look like fluff IT services.  Of course, no prices for anything.  Bells are ringing.

corlett

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:40:15 AM »
Hi prl

Tadaaaaa!

TransMagic best trans-coder I have found but after a phone call from the UK agent £2000 for the package and £600/yr license Ouch!
To trans-code 10 drawings, thats £260 per drawing.

He suggested that I wouldn't have any trans-coding problems if I bought a copy of ProEngineer. What a jerk!  Those bloated high end packages are a gravy train for re-sellers and support contracts. (sorry about that I just got off the phone to him and I am a bit mad, he wound me up more that I thought.)

Anyhow the search goes on.
If I find anything you will be the first to know. (in General Discussion)

Clive

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »
Hi prl
Tadaaaaa!

At least you know.

Send Dt a note regarding this reseller to find out if the TurboCAD Pro versions being offered are legitimate.   Any version of TurboCAD Pro v10 or up has the *.stp.

http://www.cadandgraphics.com/tcproplat18.html

Seems these folks do business with Amazon, so maybe they are legit.

http://www.amazon.com/TurboCAD-Platinum-Design-Drafting-Software/dp/B005TK5E8E
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:07:39 AM by prl »

The Scud

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
Hi all

I have just received a whole load more .STEP files and again and can't use them.  Is this just a European (UK) trend? 

I was at an engineering show this year and tried to interest people in my problem but they just look at you as though you are an idiot for not buying a copy of ProEngineer.

So far the only workable option would be to buy an old copy of TurboCAD and use that just to translate. Hammer v nut anyone.

This is just to test the water "am I the only one" If so I will go quietly.

Clive

PS
Sorry to post this subject again, see  http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=4971.msg33218#msg33218
I have also tried 3DTranslate / TranceMagic / Steptools non offer a cheap working solution.

PPS
I have a viewer now CadFaster|QuickStep 2009.  The 30day license ran out ages ago but it still displays. It won't let you measure something or export to new format.

How did you get on here? You can send them to me and I can convert them as I have TurboCAD Pro.
BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Intel HD Graphics 4000 NVidia GeForce GT 740M
Desktop AMD A8 R7 64 bit Win 10 with Quadro K620