Author Topic: designing/moving windows in a house  (Read 20046 times)

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: designing/moving windows in a house
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 06:19:04 AM »
By the way, in the quickwall demo, you could have started the sequence in 3d mode and used the "wall" command to create the initial box solid, then switch to 2d mode and create the opening trace lines etc.

bobl

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
ctrl-K sounds just the job. Thanks

>At risk of confusing bobl
Don't worry about me...I was confused before this point <smile>...but in a good way
i.e. this is all relevant to what I'm doing and quite fascinating and even if I am lost re some of it...it doesn't matter 'cos the questions and discussion represent a sort of template re where I should be heading. As such I welcome it.

My door is well above the bottom of the wall.
I managed to get some external measurements today heeding the previous advice to use the same reference point as much as possible. (That was good advice!).
I'm hoping to have something to show tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for your continuing advice.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:51:38 AM by bobl »

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
prl,

You Quick Wall demo is amazing. Too bad it does not work in RedSDK (as far as I can see).
Dempsey

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »
Too bad it does not work in RedSDK (as far as I can see).

Dempsey, thanks.  It does but if I explained it here, we would go to IMSI jail.  See you behind the curtain.

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
the section trim in 2d mode will punch a hole through the entire 3d model (and out the back of your monitor).
I tried to punch a (vertical) liftwell WITH SECTION TRIM  through the floors of a multi-story bldg, but could only achieve it if I rotated the building over, and punched it horizontally.  (Then rotated back).  I am obviously talking Y axis vertical here ( as per DCAD default).   i.e. it seems that you can only get 2D as a front view, not as a plan view (edit - doh = after reading prl's post below, I am reminded of Options\General \Planes)

One thing that I tried but it didn't work was to set working plane in 3D as the view on the roof, and then change to 2D - but it seems that
a) you can have "temporary working planes" in both 2D and 3D, but
b) they are not related / totally independent,  i.e. :-
c) setting temp working plane in 2D is just a rotation about z. (doh again, Options\General\Planes)
d) you can "reset temp working plane" in 3D, but a temp working plane in 2D will still be there when you change to 2D.

PS Of course an extruded vertical box that was solid-subtracted would work without the rotation - I was just interested in further checking out the SECTION-TRIM-IN-2D method. (2 cents)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:13:33 PM by samdavo »

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »
I was just interested in further checking out the SECTION-TRIM-IN-2D method. (2 cents)

Sam, you're on the right track!  It will work for vertical objects (plan view) or side views etc. but you do need to use temporary 2d work planes.  It will punch through floors of a tall building, a shaft.

Look at the bottom right for the temporary planes I'm setting (via basiccad).

The Chopper, it slices and dices

Sample plan.d3m macro is here:

Code: [Select]
'program  plan.d3m  (plan view - 2d)

'8/17/2008

sys(36)=2

if Sys(344) = 1 then '2d mode, switch to 3d mode
  >2DMode
   {
   }
endif

>Workplane
{
<Name "Plan View Y = 0"
<Pointxyz  0, 0 ,0
<Pointxyz  1, 0, 0
<Pointxyz  0, 0, 1
}

>unworkplane
{
}

if Sys(344) = 0 then '3d mode, switch to 2 mode
  >2DMode
   {
   }
endif

sys(230) = 0 'scrollbar off

>loadworkplane
{
 <Name "Plan View Y = 0"
}
sys(36)=0
>fittowindow
{
}
End
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:41:35 PM by prl »

samdavo

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »
prl
I note you use macro "plan.d3m" to get the plan.
Can I assume you have another macro "front.d3m" to reverse that back to the default?
My skills should be up to that, but I'm being slack as usual, and others like also benefit.

PS I used "plan" macro to view the top of the lift shaft in 2D, 

then "D" (section trim) to cut some rectangular prisms through it

all was good when I went back to 3D, (and added XYZhere)

except that when I went back to 2D, (edit - with the intend of Section Trimming more holes horizontally) ... there is a riddle.   (see jpeg called "back to 2D - THE RIDDLE").    The Options\General\Work Plane says I'm looking at XY,   but xyzhere says I'm looking at XZ (?)

Hence I think I need a macro called "front"  or maybe "normal" to get back to the default (?)

EDIT - late extra - ok, I was able to change Q\general\2D working plane  to ZY (or anything), and then back to XY.   All good. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:00:43 PM by samdavo »

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
except that when I went back to 2D, (edit - with the intend of Section Trimming more holes horizontally) ... there is a riddle.   (see jpeg called "back to 2D - THE RIDDLE").    The

You are aware that 3d and 2d drawing modes each keep there own version of temporary work planes. They are not necessarily the same ones. Can be if you want but don't have to be.  You can be in Default WP in 3d and something else in 2d.

Look at the  lower right DesignCAD screen when you switch back and forth between 3d and 2d modes.  In 2d mode, you are still in a temporary work plane "Plan View Y=0".  You can right click over that lower right hand corner of the screen, and select "reset workplane" to get you back to Default XY WP or on the command line type unworkplane, or of course let basiccad do it.

And yes, I have macros for:

plan: (plan view, a 2d mode view, an exception to my use of the word "view" discussed below.  For 3d mode, I use tv.d3m meaning top view)
fel:  (front elevation)
rel:  (right elevation)
lel:  (left elevation)

etc.

Wording is a bit of a pain but I've settled on using "elevation" for 2d modes, and "view" for 3d modes. Example a front elevation (fel.d3m) versus front view (fv.d3m), fel.d3m is  2d mode, and fv.d3m is for 3d mode.  The section trim behavior I'm using only works in elevations, meaning 2d mode.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:58:19 PM by prl »

samdavo

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 02:36:29 AM »
Prl,
Herewith that same liftwell after cutting out the midriff, (using horizontal Section - trim) - and adding shafts.

I'm guessing you'll be the only one to notice lol,
but note how xyzhere appears in colour with qs2 shading ?  :)
This is using what I believe to be your preferences (hope I'm right) xyz = red - green - blue.
cheers
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:02:49 AM by samdavo »

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 04:54:36 AM »
but note how xyzhere appears in colour with qs2 shading ?  :)

Nice.  My colors x - red, y - blue, z - green

red right  (x)
green ground (z)
blue sky (y)

How did you do that with qs2? Did you explode and convert to vector the text and arrows in the xyzhere? Then "makeplane" on them?

samdavo

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
yep, dead simple to do what you say. (I went on to try a few experiments which were a waste of time, and overcomplicates it)
explode, vector convert the arrow-heads and letters, and MP make plane,
doesn't work as 2D text any more obviously, i.e.  rotating out of isometric view rotates the text as well   (2 cents)
Just messing around between coats of paint :)

(red-blue-green.   Yep I wasn't sure whether or not you pre-empted the 90 degree rotation that accompanies posting into Sketchup - and guessed wrong.  But I knew it was similar to SU).
cheers
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:56:14 PM by samdavo »

bobl

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »
To position one box at an offset to another I'd like to draw H and V lines from the corner to a point in space and then draw another box from there.
I want to use just keys (no mouse) if possible
I can get to the right postion using...
f4      to get to the box's corner.
h       to draw an orthoganal line
'        to do a point relative
i can fill in dx,y&z which places a point in space BUT........
how do I finish the line i.e. like a do with double left click of the mouse.

And another thing...
yesterday I was able to move the corner of one box to the corner of another using k I think.
Today it doesn't seem to work.
What's the trick here.
Again I'd prefer a keyboard recipe or both if possible.

Thank you in anticipation.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:29:33 AM by bobl »

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 02:36:03 AM »
how do I finish the line i.e. like a do with double left click of the mouse.

Hit enter to finish drawing the line.

Regarding your second question, DesignCAD has three basic drawing modes, the select first mode (normal arrow cursor), the pointselect mode (spearhead cursor), and presetpoint mode (crosshair cursor).  Yesterday when you moved that corner, you must have been in pointselect mode.

bobl

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 03:25:40 AM »
Thank you...I thought I tried Enter but will revist. Thanks for explaining the modes too. I'll have a look at that.

This is a little harder than I thought...down to my ineptitude rather than designcad so...whilst I'm messing about...here's a taste of what we're talking about. You'd never believe I got an A+ for Technical Drawing at O-Level would you? <smile>

Top is existing...bottom is planned...but is DEFINITELY NOT TO SCALE and therefore looks a bit naff.
Getting the proportions to look good will be the trick and I'd appreciate some help with that once I dimension everything. At least now you can all see what the "fuss" is about.

BTW the top flat box represents the barge boards front and back i.e. it's much too heavy at the moment and needs the middle where it overlaps the house box subtracting so it ends up as two adjacent boxes front and back. I was just experiment with how I'd construct this thing. Same goes for the measurements.

Getting there!!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:39:36 AM by bobl »

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 03:36:10 AM »
You've jumped into the deep end of the pool from the word go, and you're swimming fine.

Easy way to deal with window proportions is to Johnson your design.  :)