Author Topic: designing/moving windows in a house  (Read 19958 times)

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: designing/moving windows in a house
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2014, 03:20:23 AM »
Some of the other CAD programs I have used require up to a dozen operations to do what gravity snap, gravity snap, drag and gravity snap will do in DesignCAD.

This "move" method Rob and Phil describe would be a good flash movie. Should be a part of the tips and tricks section. Because it is unusual in sequence. (Edit, was it crckrjck that discovered this sequence?  http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=1035.msg5609#msg5609).  Apparently I glossed over it at the time, chewing on something else.

You guys should look at the portable version of CamStudio.  If you can master DesignCAD, you can certainly create a super-8 movie in a flash.  (And I'll talk you through it if need be, since I did this a few weeks ago myself). By the way, you GUI dialog guys always have to look up, gravity snap, gravity snap, drag and gravity snap, scan the dialog, is the correct toggle set . . . . phew, when you could simply select something and type mv 5.

The command line gun slinger . . . (as he blows the smoke from the end of the barrel).  Yes, you have to love DesignCAD, so many ways to knock'em dead.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:35:19 AM by prl »

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »
How do I shade (solidly colour) boxes, planes in 2D?

You can't.  2d mode is only and always wireframe.

Well, you can't shade, but you CAN "solidly colour" using the Hatch" command and a "winsolid" hatch pattern.

Such hatches can even exist without border lines, and can be edited using point-select mode

A fine example of this is Dempsey's sunmask drawing  http://www.van-vliet.org/dempseywoodworking/sunmask.shtml#plans

Newer versions of Designcad even have gradient hatches
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:08:13 AM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

bobl

« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
That's great!
Thanks very much for the advice and the link.

bobl

« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Yes that works great. I'm just wondering where you change the winsolid colour?

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
Just select it, and bring up the info box, and pick a color, or use same-as to match colors of existing objects.
User since Pro-design

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2014, 10:37:42 AM »
Dean, good info from Rob, just keep in mind if you apply a hatch to a 3d solid surface and you shade, you will have two competing surfaces (the hatch, and the native solid surface).  Possibly three competing surfaces if you add materials.

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
Dean-bob  (from UK not the Southern States) :)

I'm guessing you only want "some colour other than grey".
And you want solid colour on a surface
And assuming you are prepared to use 3D/front view instead of 2D

Then you can get all that without hatching.  i.e. 3D front looks like 2D, and permits shading.
(edit - nothing against hatching of course - provided you are happy with 2D)

PS,  Here's how I change colours ( and each colour has its own layer) - (edit) and that applies to either 2D (90 % of the time) or 3D .  Now this has none of the sophistication of hidden layers etc that others use ( although the macros I use could easily be amended to permit hidden layers etc for layer numbers greater than say 20).   Personally I only use max 8 layers and colours.  Cheers

PS And don't forget that when in 3D, using shading, that planes do not necessarily have margins delineating lines where they meet - and that is where qs2 comes in - i.e. it adds those lines.   It is MUCH easier to learn and use than shadows are.   

PS I do NOT use "assign layers to colours" - despite the fact it may appear so in that thread.
i.e. I assign all colours with macros - and "colour by layer" can clash with them.

http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=4826.15
PS This includes my first post on the forum, and I've learnt a lot since then  - sorry, I should update that thread one day - maybe after I amend the macros to permit hidden layers. (2 cents)

PS Some more notes on qs2 here (replies 7 and 8 ) - i.e. you can still play around with lights, colours thereof - but qs2 cannot be used with shadows.    :-
http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=5417.0
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:33:52 AM by samdavo »

bobl

« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »
Wow that's a very comprehensive set of solutions and explanations.
I was just on my way out when I posted so...I'll try these now.
I'll report back shortly.
Thanks

bobl

« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2014, 03:47:48 AM »
I've only done Rob's post so far...
I  tried Rob's solution yesterday before posting but failed. Bolstered by Rob's reassurance that this is "the one" I saw that my problem was with "select it" i.e. you have to select the hatched middle and not the outline. The only way I've found to do this is to MOVE the outline out of the way so that your left mouse click selects the hatch and not the outline. It works but what's the slick way to do this. There is one isn't there :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:49:49 AM by bobl »

bobl

« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2014, 03:57:42 AM »
prl
Thank you for the warning re competing colours. I'm amazed at how sophisticated DC's colours are.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:18:27 AM by bobl »

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2014, 04:32:26 AM »
my problem was with "select it" i.e. you have to select the hatched middle and not the outline. The only way I've found to do this is to MOVE the outline out of the way etc
Dean-bob,
if you click (on or) near the hatched area and it selects the plane instead ( or vectors or whatever) -
i.e. it selects the wrong entity,

then simply keep clicking "enter", and it will cycle through all the options.
Stop when it says "hatch", (and of course when the correct hatch is highlighted.) :)
cheers
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:07:07 AM by samdavo »

bobl

« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2014, 05:41:36 AM »
I had no idea....That's so easy. Thank you very much.
I've been having a good look at your post and links above....Great stuff in there....a bit over my head at the moment but certainly something to aspire to. That's a very clever macro re the plane intersections.
Thank you for all this great stuff.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:57:36 AM by bobl »