Author Topic: Nuisance of 'required' re-entry of 'activation' code each boot-up of DC3DMax22..  (Read 421 times)

Flrn

Hi All,  ;D

Rankest of 'newbies' here.  Recently installed DC...22 (on ASUS CM6870, Win7Pro); did not uninstall DC...18, but, '18 is in a separate directory.  As indicated above, every attempt to boot DC...22 'pops-up' the pane asking that I enter the 'activation code.'  My copy of DC...22 was downloaded (from IMSI, I believe, rather than a 'reseller') and an email from the seller provides the req'd serial # and activation code, but surely a user (more accurately one "attempting" to use this feature-rich software) isn't normally required to keep re-entering the darned activation code!

And, as an added 'plus', now, when I try to boot DC...18, I'm told that my trial period has ended, yada, yada, and would I enter a valid serial # and activation code for it!  My copy of DC...18 was purchased locally, as a disc (and possibly deemed, "Educational" version), and did function normally for a few years, on an XP machine.

Elsewhere on this forum (perhaps some time back), DrollTroll observed that today's operating systems are getting more and more complex (Hear, hear!).  IMHO, today's programmers and 'team managers' of 'mega' software development are to be congratulated on getting it as nearly right and glitch-free as they do!

Thanks and best regards,
Flrn

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Try uninstalling and re-installing V22 in a folder outside of the Program Files. i.e. c:\dc22\.

Dr PR

Firn,

You will need to be Administrator to install the program.

You will be given two choices:

1. Install for all users (the default).
2. Install for "me only."

If you install for "me only" you can put all the program files in any folder (on drive C:) that you want. They will not overwrite other versions fo DesignCAD.

You can install V22 in one folder and V18 in another - Win 7 will allow you to install V18 "for me only."

This should allow you to use both programs without one interfering with the other.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Flrn

Many thanks to Bob P and to Dr PR.  ;D

Before implementing either of your suggested fixes, rec'd a reply from IMSI 'customer support' addressing the problem.  The people responding were, (1) Kevin Chapman (signed) and (2) Mark Maier (emailed K Chapman w/help).

'Their' suggested fix was: (a) Right click the desktop shortcut (task-bar icon didn't work),  (b) Choose, "Run as Administrator," (c) Enter requested information, (d) Repeat a, b, and c a second time.  And . . . your problem should 'go away.'

To my AMAZEMENT, it did!  And, similar 'incantations' nearly cleared-up all difficulties with DC 18.  Surprisingly, found the disc, in an envelope with 'original' activation code and (for no remembered reason) a 'revised' activation code (revised tried, and did work).  Only remaining 'glitch' with '18 was a niggling 'complaint' that the 'color scheme' had been changed to a form/version that '18 could use and would be changed back when '18 exited (suspect color scheme issue may be due to "...color profile has been successfully installed..." related to use of 'Spyder4Elite' monitor calibrator).

Now, it seems, I'm faced with daunting task of trying to learn to use some of this software's many wonders. 

Thanks again,
Flrn