Author Topic: Looking for drawings to use in marketing materials  (Read 3222 times)

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Looking for drawings to use in marketing materials
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
Our marketing department is looking for new images to  use on our DesignCAD packaging. So if you've got a drawing that you've done in DesignCAD that shows off its capabilities in a good way, we'd love to see it. Ideally, we'd like the actual drawing file, so we can produce images from it at varying resolutions, or details, and so forth. Obviously this will have to be a drawing to which you have the full rights of distribution -- confidential drawings done for clients won't do.
If you have such a drawing you'd like to share, please email it to me at this email address (modified slightly for spamproofing)
kchapman at imsidesign dot com
Also include your full name, contact information, and an assurace that you have full rights to give us this drawing. We will limit the uses to marketing information only, and credit the drawing's author when used in such a fashion.
Thanks!
DT

2016 marks my 24th year in DesignCAD-Land!

Dr PR

Re: Looking for drawings to use in marketing materials
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
DT,

I have a lot of 3D drawings that might be useful. The ship model I have been building is made up of dozens of individual parts and some might make good advertising images. Take a look at this page and explore the links:

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20model.html

The whole ship model and superstructure models are huge and hard to work with, amd I'm not sure if any of these models would work well. However, some of the smaller models, like boats, winches and radars, are very complex and look pretty good when rendered.

If you see anything you want to use let me know.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
Here is a 3D model of a set of floating Stairs for which we did the formwork and concrete work a few years back, and at the time I did the drawing to try and better understand the geometry from the architects plans and sections.

Then just to see how it could be done, I added some glass and railings. 

I've also enclosed a picture of the finished product, next post
User since Pro-design

Rob S

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »
Here's what it actually looks like
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:09:36 PM by Rob S »
User since Pro-design

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
Rob,

That's really cool! I remember when you posted images of this on the Forum years ago and I was trying to figure out how to draw something similar. It was way ahead of my abilities at the time.

Phil

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20model.html

The whole ship model and superstructure models are huge ... However, some of the smaller models, like boats, winches and radars, are very complex and look pretty good when rendered.
Phil
Hear Hear on that score!
Phil,
I have taken the liberty of screensnipping some of that ship of yours.

For instance, you could post details of the anchor, together with anchor-chain, and winches;
and maybe an animation of it being wound up(?)

Or maybe the "Whaleboat Davits" - with the boat being swung out and then lowered.
Super-impressive in any event,  Congrats.

PS If you have time, please advise how many light sources you used, and where (horiz and vert angles) ?

Here's what it actually looks like
And Rob ,  I prefer your drawing to the photos of the real thing :)  fantastic.

PS. What was the specs of that glass material please?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:27:04 PM by samdavo »

samdavo

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
Alternatively Phil
You could
a) have a mannequin who looks like DT in an Admiral's uniform come aboard from the Captain's Launch 
b) raise the Launch in its Davits,
c) raise the anchor,
d) crank up the motor and the props, and finally
e) flick the rudder, and set sail for a bright future :)

Dr PR

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »
Sam.

I use a single Directional light with the "Move with eye" option selected. This ensures that the side facing the viewer is lighted. The horizontal angle is almost always +/- 3-9 degrees - not much. The vertical angle is trickier - if the view is nearly horizontal with respect to the ship the vertical angle can be 25-45 degrees, but if I am looking down on the ship from above the vertical angle will be small, or maybe even slightly negative. I choose the angles to give me good shadows.

Shadows are enabled with 2048x2048 resolution, Shadow Softness 0.3 to 0.4, and Shadow Tolerance 0% (Note: any non-zero "tolerance" will cause bizarre effects). Under the "Options" menu I select "Use New Shadows" in most cases, but this sometimes causes strange highlights on narrow horizontal features like ropes and hand rails. If this happens disable new shadows. The "new" shadows were introduced a few versions back and they are an improvement in most cases. You get much better shadows from thin objects ("old" shadows always produced a parallel double shadow).

I seriously doubt that I would live long enough to animate the boat davits - there are hundreds of objects and tens of thousands of facets. I have no idea how to animate so many objects going so many directions all at the same time. Even something simpler, like dropping the anchor, would involve dozens of chain links following non-linear paths. It is a LOT more complicated than animating a simple door swinging open, or a rotating nut on a bolt.

Phil

samdavo

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 12:50:44 AM »
Phil,
Maybe just crank up the prop? and a few flicks of the rudder?
Anyway - I "dips my lid" to you.
congrats
sam 

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
Sam, the glass was the standard Designcad material, with it's color changed to green.

You can grab it from the .dcd file I posted.

Dr, there is much about this drawing I would do differently if starting from scratch, it started out as a quick and dirty to understand the geometry, and then it started to look pretty good so I just tarted it up a bit, and added the railings.

The steps are drawn to a standard size each, and just set on top of each other along the curve.
User since Pro-design

Shipmodeler

• Flagship Models Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 05:20:55 PM »
Here's a couple of instruction sheets I made for model kits that I produce.  Feel free to use them if you wish.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:24:42 PM by Shipmodeler »
"A man can never say he has truly lived until he has built a model ship"
Ronald Reagan

compman2

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Here is a cabinet I built for our house.  It is pretty detailed, including a couple of mouldings, beadboard, raised panel doors.  It was a great exercise in learning to use 3d functionality.  Only one issue with the drawing, I haven't gotten the knobs positioned on the surface of the doors.  Take a look at this and see if it is something you can use.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:39:05 AM by compman2 »

Pearco

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »
compman 2;

To place the knobs where you want them, set a handle on the rear of the knob where the screw would enter it. Then place the knob on a reference point such as the corner of the door. Next use the move tool from the reference point the proper X Y and Z amounts. Then group the door and knob and it will stay on that spot until you move it again. It works the same way in 2D also.

Edit; By the way, nice looking drawing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:27:36 PM by Pearco »
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

compman2

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 05:17:18 AM »
thanks for the tip.  I will give it a try.