Author Topic: Cabmaker 32 / Design cad 3d max v21  (Read 6475 times)

Dean

Cabmaker 32 / Design cad 3d max v21
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »
 ;)Thanks Garry.
 Concerning Design cad…Is there any way to get Design Cad 3d max v21 to recognize the (parent block) the hierarchy of the rendered door block from cabmaker? Dcad only recognizes the child blocks> top stile, bottom stile, left stile, right stile and door panel. Sku recognizes the (component) parent and children. Utilizing the power of design cad, I’m interested in a way of creating new door style blocks in Design cad then re-defining in place all the original doors rendered from cabmaker 32. I guess I could render the cabinets without doors but then I would need to align them, any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:01:24 PM by Dean »
Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
AMD Turion™ 11 Ultra Dual Core Mobile M600 (laptop)
2.40 GHz - 4GB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series (display adapter)

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: Cabmaker 32 / Design cad 3d max v21
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
interested in a way of creating new door style blocks in Design cad then re-defining in place all the original doors

Dean, I too am interested in getting DesignCAD to be a better block (component) placement/replacement facility.  Just be careful and aware that DesignCAD block names clash and cache.  What this implies is that until the name cache issue is fixed, all DesignCAD block names need to be unique, especially when subnested and especially when cutting and pasting from another drawing or importing from a block library.

An example of unexpected results is you have a main drawing that has a master block called "dining table" with a child block titled "legs".  You cut and paste a "people" block into your main drawing.  The "people" block also has a child block named "legs".  After you have inserted the  "people" block and hit regen, you will notice that your 3d person "people" block has the "table" legs.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:31:37 AM by prl »

Garry K

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:13:36 AM »
Dean,

I'm pretty sure that I took care of the unique naming requirement for blocks. Each cabinet is given a number - all blocks use the cabinet number in their names. So there shouldn't be clashing between cabinets. I then use a second number to differentiate names where there are multiple components - doors, shelves etc.

I had experimented with nested blocks with mixed results. I believe that I turned that part off for design cad. I'll look into it.

BTW - I did add inches for design cad rendering and that will be in the next version. I'll cap off the next version shortly. I have one more feature that I'm currently working on that needs to get into the version.

Have you tried exporting the sku as a dxf and then import into Design Cad?

Dean

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
Dean,

I'm pretty sure that I took care of the unique naming requirement for blocks. Each cabinet is given a number - all blocks use the cabinet number in their names. So there shouldn't be clashing between cabinets. I then use a second number to differentiate names where there are multiple components - doors, shelves etc.

I had experimented with nested blocks with mixed results. I believe that I turned that part off for design cad. I'll look into it.

BTW - I did add inches for design cad rendering and that will be in the next version. I'll cap off the next version shortly. I have one more feature that I'm currently working on that needs to get into the version.

Have you tried exporting the sku as a dxf and then import into Design Cad?

Garry,
Rendered a single cabinet from cabmaker 32 into Sku > Then dxf or dwg export from sku then import in design cad > works, Dcad recognizes the door block >parent and children. I imported the dxf or dwg in Dcad while in 2-D mode >went to 3-D mode and the cabinet was sitting correctly with dcad’s  UCS  the x,y and z axis. Y being up X to the right and Z away from you. If I import the dxf while in 3-D mode the UCS  and the cabinet is twisted. As for scaling the rendered cabinet back to the correct measurement in inches in Dcad I can either >select all > selection zoom > .03937 or > after the cabinet has loaded in Dcad I change the units to cm without rescaling then change the units to inches with rescaling checked.
Thanks for the heads up Prl..
2.40 GHz - 4GB

Garry K

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:40:08 AM »
If I import the dxf while in 3-D mode the UCS  and the cabinet is twisted.

Dean,

prl kindly gave us a ruby scrip called rotate.rb - I have modified it to rotate about the X axis clockwise or counterclockwise. The other modification is I clamped the rotate point to be 0,0,0 as opposed to getting the insertion point for each object.

Put the rotateboth.rb into your sketchup plugins folder. The Edit menu will have 2 new entries.

1) Run cabmaker32 and render in sketchup.
2) Select all
3) rotate clockwise.

I'm guessing that design cad will now import in 3D properly (hopefully)

I messed up some component naming with Sketchup. Interestingly Sketchup resolves naming conflicts by adding #1 or #2 ... to the end of the name.

I have cleaned this up - and will now consolidate this code with DC 3D rendering (so names will become consistent between platforms).

I have cabmaker32 creating nested blocks for DC. So this will be in a patch that I will put out this week.

I am also looking into optimizing the DC macro.

prl suggested a few months back to create my parts in their final layer as opposed to building them in a work layer and then moving them. I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish this. My current strategy is this:

example corner shelf.
1) Create solid shelf
2) create a solid cookie cutter and rotate it 45 degrees. Used in solid subtract to chop off the back corner.

My problem is if this part is in it's final layer - then the solid subtract can fail because trying to pick a point that just resides on the cookie cutter can fail. So what I have been doing is create these parts in a work layer ( which is the only visible layer ) and then invoking solid subtract.

Anyways - I will see if I can optimize these routines for speed.

Garry K

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
Sorry - here is the script.

Garry K

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
Dean,

If you are interested there is an update that is on the web site

Garry

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »
I am also looking into optimizing the DC macro.

prl suggested . . .
Anyways - I will see if I can optimize these routines for speed.

Garry, your approach for constructing and moving things between layers is probably very fast.  The slow down is when you write and read to the entity sys$(300) string field.  If you review your code as to why you need to use this field (is it to name the blocks?), maybe a different approach will allow you to skip those read/writes.

I haven't downloaded your demo so I'm not sure what your latest cabinets building sequence is . . . but if you want to attach a cabinets.d3m with sample data file, I'll give it a look and play with it a bit exploring options.

Garry K

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
prl,

Thanks- help is always appreciated!

There are 2 text files 1_cabinets.txt and 6_cabinets.txt
Changed the file name in the macro as you see fit.

Dean

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
Dean,

If you are interested there is an update that is on the web site

Garry

Garry, thanks for the update.
In Sku cabinets render perfectly from Cabmaker 32. All cabinet parts come in as components. The doors are components with the nested child components. Inserting or replacing one of the components works great.

In Design cad cabinets render in inches now and are not twisted in 3d mode perspective view. They are aligned with Dcad’s default UCS. Design cad still does not recognize the door block only its five child blocks but the door block is available in the “block insert” command. For some reason design cad is doing a “Explode top level only” operation on the cabinet doors when it opens the rendered file. Also, when I insert one of the cabinet blocks the block is a considerable distance from its handle.
2.40 GHz - 4GB

Garry K

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
Dean,

I have set the handle for the blocks at 0,0,0. This is because of all the problems exporting with dxf and I can certainly change this. It appears since I have a version that works well in SKU that we probably do not need to worry about exporting from DCad to SKU.
Regardless - This is a DC bug that lots of us have been trying to work around

What do you mean by Design cad still does not recognize the door block?

I have been working on different door designs. Arch and Cathedral at the moment.

Dean

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
Dean,

I have set the handle for the blocks at 0,0,0. This is because of all the problems exporting with dxf and I can certainly change this. It appears since I have a version that works well in SKU that we probably do not need to worry about exporting from DCad to SKU.
Regardless - This is a DC bug that lots of us have been trying to work around

What do you mean by Design cad still does not recognize the door block?

I have been working on different door designs. Arch and Cathedral at the moment.

Garry,
In Design cad the doors render in and get exploded “top level only “for some reason.  The way you designed the door blocks, there are 5 child blocks and the parent block, correct? In design cad there is no “parent” door block in model space only the 5 child blocks that make up the door.
 Interestingly, there is the “parent” door block in the “block insert” command.
I can't wait to see the other style doors.
2.40 GHz - 4GB

Garry K

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
Dean,

What might be happening is when I make the nested block - it adds it to the blocks but does not replace what is in the drawing. I'll look into this and see if that is what is happening.

Here are the profiles that I'm using for the doors. I will go with 19mm thick stiles and rails and 19mm thick panel. This is from a time that I made solid oak doors. We ran them through a thickness sander which worked much better when it sanded the entire surface.

What do you think of these profiles?

Garry K

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »
Here is a picture of what I can do in sketchup for panel raised doors.

Both panels are done in code. I'm learning how to code the stiles and rails.

The values that will be controlled by data entry are:

Door width, height and thickness.
Stile width and rail width
The dado is currently hardcoded to 10 mm

Garry K

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
Oops - here is the picture