Author Topic: How to scale without dimensions changing?  (Read 547 times)

Al

How to scale without dimensions changing?
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »
Hello All,

How do I scale an object with dimensions without the dimensions changing to the new size? I want to take a full size drawing with dimensions and scale it down to fit a smaller piece of paper. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

JJG

Re: How to scale without dimensions changing?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »
If I have a good understanding, you are searching for a tool to layout your drawing, to be printed.

OK, on my side, I do not use the paper-space "tab" of DesignCAD, but I prefer to draw the layout in 2D, and use for that the following macro : ie, I select what I want to layout, and then I run this macro.
Of course, you do know the scale of which you want to print before.

(and sorry, this macro is in french)

MarkX

• Now where did I put my pencil?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
How do I scale an object with dimensions without the dimensions changing to the new size? I want to take a full size drawing with dimensions and scale it down to fit a smaller piece of paper. Any help would be appreciated.
You shouldn't have to change the actual drawing.

DC has a print section option. You can specify the scale you want in that dialog under "Area".

You can also use Paperspace. In the view window you can set up whatever ratio makes sense.

Either way, when printing out be sure the scaling happened as you expected.

Good luck,
Mark

Al

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
I think I need to restate my question and explain what I want to do. I want to place a 2d drawing on a page that also have type on it. I don't want the type to be reduced so I can't use the print section option. I want the drawing to be more like a graphic imported on a page. Maybe I should be working in Word and import the drawing as a graphic? If so what format do I use to export the drawing in DC so that it can import it into word?

Al

MarkX

• Now where did I put my pencil?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
I think I need to restate my question and explain what I want to do. I want to place a 2d drawing on a page that also have type on it. I don't want the type to be reduced so I can't use the print section option. I want the drawing to be more like a graphic imported on a page. Maybe I should be working in Word and import the drawing as a graphic? If so what format do I use to export the drawing in DC so that it can import it into word?

Al
Well, if you really have your heart set on scaling everything .... this might work.

Make sure your dimensions are not associated dimensions.

Select and Scale everything to the size you want.

Use SHIFT-F to find and select all dimensions.

Use the "T" in the Info Box to change all the dimension text to a suitable size.

Recommend saving modified file under a different name so you don't corrupt your original work.

Mark

DrollTroll

• Indefatigable Banner of Spammers
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
If you want the dimension text to read the same after you resize the imported drawing, either explode all the dimensions, or change them all to use Fixed Text, and save that version of the drawing under a different name.
Then load the modified drawing as a symbol.

adriank

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
I also don't use paperspace. When I need a detail at a larger scale on the same page I re-dimension it using the units multiplier tool. If the detail is double the size, set the multiplier at 0.5 etc.
Just remember to set the multiplier back to 1 when you are done with the detail because whatever value you set 'sticks'. I have been known to do whole pages with rescaled dimensions!

You can modify with the multiplier in the info box after the dimension has been set, but you usually need to reset the text size and arrows too so it's quicker to redraw them.
Adrian