Author Topic: 3D Pen Printer  (Read 2494 times)

MarkX

• Now where did I put my pencil?
3D Pen Printer
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:28:02 AM »
This story was on NPR this morning. Its not "totally" off topic.

If you scroll down, you'll see where something like DesignCad might come into play. You could use DesignCad to create the 2D stencils that are used to put 3D objects together.

Mark

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1351910088/3doodler-the-worlds-first-3d-printing-pen

minstrel

Re: 3D Pen Printer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
I want one!

I'm having another one of those, why didn't I think of that, moments!
I'm off to the shed to heat up my old glue gun and see how it handles '3D Space'! 

Perfect too,  for use with DesignCAD 2D printouts...

Seriously, should anyone get one of these please report back.  It could be lots of fun!

Thanks Mark, for the head's up.

Minstrel

MarkX

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »
I'm having another one of those, why didn't I think of that, moments!
I'm off to the shed to heat up my old glue gun and see how it handles '3D Space'! 
Part of what makes it different from a glue gun is that it has a cooler element to drop the temperature. That's how its able to write in air.

Mark

minstrel

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
Yea...I found a quick work around, but it's unfortunately [or do I mean fortunately? 8) short term.

Current temps outside hover around '0' Celsius with winds out of the NE around 20km/h and gusty...that should work to cool things down nice and quick...

Minstrel

...but I'm a tropical type of guy and this 'cold' can now go far, far away...and the glue gun with it.

MarkX

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »
Current temps outside hover around '0' Celsius with winds out of the NE around 20km/h and gusty...that should work to cool things down nice and quick...
So ... you just strap on your parka and start glue-gunning outside. I can hear Martha Stewart slapping herself in the forehead: "Why didn't I think of that!"

Mark

minstrel

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
See...life can be so simple 8)

...oops, just glued my glove to the glue gun and the wind grabbed a 'gob' of the hot stuff and it flew off like a fresh 'web' from a spider...this is one step beyond '3D Space'!  Now my scarf got tangled in the web...forget about!  How much did that 'thingy' cost? 

Minstrel

MarkX

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »
Here's an article on various actual 3D printers:

http://machinedesign.com/print/92644

If you scroll down you'll see that someone has used their $3000 STL device to make an Eiffel tower. The results don't appear that much better than what you get with the 3D pen and templates. The resin alone for the STL machine is $149/litre.

If you scroll further down, there's an inset about 3D printing coming to Staples in Belgium and the Netherlands. Wonder why they're skipping the U.S. ?

Mark

magic

• hokus pokus
    • Magic Systems
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »
Hi all,

I went to a presentation/demonstration of the Z-Corp's 3D printers at Lund in Sweden some years ago.

Z-Corp make professionel 3D printers, so the price is a lot higher.

As far as I recall they use a form of gypsum as their material and only add the binder afterwards. Because they use gypsum, their top models actually print in full color (upto 390.000). This is done using ordinary HP inkjet printheads.

You can choose among several binders, one of which was an epoxy based two component, and in a short movie presentation we were shown, how they had 3D printed a skateboard and actually used it in the parking lot.
It's a kind of magic!

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:42:22 AM »
Heck, they're talking about printing your own pistols and/or rifles, magazines etc  :o

Must admit, I'd love to know the strength properties of the material that is "printed".  (but nothing to do with weaponry lol)  Yet more research

minstrel

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »
Heck, they're talking about printing your own pistols and/or rifles, magazines etc  :o

Yea, this is a pity...yet clearly shows how 'good' technology can tragically take a wrong turn.  Sad when something intended to be a 'blessing' become a part of the 'curse'. 

Minstrel

MarkX

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:06 AM »
Its ABS plastic. In my experience, ABS warps under heat and pressure. And its not real hard. I can't help but think a little plastic gets shaved out with every shot. I wonder how many times you can send a bullet down the barrel of such a gun before it becomes more dangerous to the shooter than to the shoot-ee ?

The article I saw didn't mention how much the plastic cost, but I bet it was more than that of the typical going price of a gun.

My concern is that, in the U.S., since they can't make you do a background check before buying a gun, they will instead make you have a background check before buying a 3D printer.

Mark

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:39 AM »
I'm not too worried about the "mass production" of 3D-printed guns.  I suspect that a quality printer capable of making the parts will never get below $1000, plus the materials will be quite expensive.  Unless it's designed around a steel barrel, the gun won't last past the first few shots, and will never be accurate.  It's still easier and "more practical" to buy a gun off the street, unfortunately.  Because of the US's cross-state-border swiss-cheese enforcement, illegal guns can be had practically anywhere.

MarkX

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »
I'm not too worried about the "mass production" of 3D-printed guns.  ...
Yes -- the guy making the news printed an entire gun. Everything but the firing pin. Not too practical.

I'm not a gun guy, so I may have got my facts wrong, but I understand that the registration number of the gun is actually in the loading chamber. This part could be made with ABS plastic or other printable material. So the more realistic fear is that a lot of guns will be converted into untraceable weapons. Not that being able to trace them seems to accomplish much.

Mark