Author Topic: Tips for TURBO charging DesignCAD  (Read 2656 times)

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Tips for TURBO charging DesignCAD
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
When you are in the building and modeling phase of your drawing and you feel that DesignCAD gets sluggish then following one or more of these tips may help to improve performance again:
  • Don't work for hours in a row. Save your work, close the drawing, and exit the program; that will release buffers and cleanup any possible "memory leaks". You will thank me when you have a system crash or power failure.
  • Reduce the number of programs you run simultaneously. Multitasking is not what it cranks up to be anyway; even women cannot do that -- this is not the male chauvinist speaking.  ;D
  • Always work with Graphics Acceleration enabled.
  • 2D text, Attribute Text and True Type fonts can potentially slow down your work.
  • When working in 3D mode there is often no need to have all four views open. Close (minimizing does not do the trick) the views you don't need; it will speed up the refresh. I normally only work with the 3D main view maximized.
  • Work in Wire Frame or Hidden Line mode.
  • In Hidden Line mode uncheck "Display intersection lines with graphics acceleration enabled".
  • When you insist on working in Shaded modes then disable transparency. A single small piece of glass can bring rotation of a 3D view to a grinding halt!
  • Only the layer(s) that you need to do your work should be visible. Make the other layers invisible.
  • Very fine hatch patterns can be time consuming too. Best approach is to have those on a separate layer that can be made invisible while doing other drawing work.
  • V22.0 has a new feature under "Set View by View/Drawing Center", namely different camera settings. You often need only a limited number of camera settings to looking at a 3D model. Selecting a camera setting is faster and more accurate than doing dynamic rotations.
  • In menu Options>Options>View Tab:  Uncheck "Enable off-screen bitmpap".  This speeds up zooming in and out.
  • In menu Options>Preference Settings:  Uncheck "Enable snap commands for both symbols/blocks AND hatch patterns".  Only have them on when you need this.  Keeping them off increases snapping response times.
  • Generally the running snap features or anything else like this consumes cpu cycles.
  • Working in Point Select mode can slow display regeneration tremendously if there are a lot of points in a selected object such as a surface grid. This is especially true if you are working in 3D with four windows open.
  • Close the info box when you don't need it as it slows making selections as from version 16.0.
  • Never delete objects from a shaded drawing; switch to wireframe mode first!
  • Never disable layers while the display is shaded; always switch to wireframe mode first!

Mind you, these are tips that I extracted from other topics and are not mine. Thanks for the contributions.

Other contributions are welcome and I will add those also to this list for easy access.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:23:27 PM by Dempsey »
Dempsey

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: Tips for TURBO charging DesignCAD
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:49:23 AM »
Edit Aug 15, 2012, my comments are now incorporated in the first post.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:46:45 AM by prl »

Dr PR

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Working in Point Select mode (CTRL 1 toggles on/off) can slow display regeneration tremendously if there are a lot of points in a selected object (a surface grid, for example). This is especially true if you are working in 3D with four windows open.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
For versions from (I think) 16 close the info box when making selections and you don't need it.

Lar

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
Thanks, I added your tips to the list.
Dempsey