Author Topic: Yet Another 3D Viewer  (Read 6682 times)

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Re: Yet Another 3D Viewer
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 03:06:52 AM »
And every day I come up with a better use for the spacebar than the one I've assigned to it.

Well this is getting off topic a bit, but talking about overloading keys with special uses,  I use the Win Spacebar keystroke combination to move and resize my active Windows program between four predefined sizes and layouts.

I found this necessary because I typically use two monitors, running the second monitor from a laptop.  But if I take my laptop on the road and I don't have it hooked to the second monitor, many of my programs will open off screen.  So I hit Win Space bar and it round robbins the active program between the laptop screen and second screen using some of my favorite layouts.  I do this trick with AutoHotKey.

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 03:16:55 AM »
Sam,  I like the gifs.  Excellent on-demand approach.   The concept of creating frames when you snap the picture and having some transition math between the two view settings between the last picture and the current picture is obviously how the original DesignCAD animation works.  Though I find this vddsnap approach much more friendly and hence a big improvement in terms of control and interactive "scene making".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:23:33 AM by prl »

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 03:34:37 AM »
prl
thanks
what I like about this is that you can have an animation combined with a walkthrough - i.e. there is no reason that the vertical blinds couldn't be waving around in the breeze, and casting waving shadows ( just for example) whilst the lighting and observer moves - or more generally, you could run dempsey's pushapart of the structural components , followed by push-back-together again.  etc etc.  (sky's the limit yet again).
cheers
sam 

bdeck

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
Here's a final version of vdd.

Found a flag variable (redo) out of place which caused the last version to ignore the first keystroke. Fixed.

If MS Win visual effects settings include fade out on closed windows, the SaveBmp function will save faster than DC can clear the save menu off the screen.   (Set wait=1 to require an extra keystroke to give window time to cleanup before saving image, or reconfigure windows)

Thanks Sam, Prl, etal for comments and ideas.

Next is an add-on project to make Sam's walk through a bit easier  vgg.d3m (view go go).

Regards

Edited 5/3/2014  to set sys(1174)=0 to avoid problem with saveas command
Edited 5/3/2017  to replace variable u with k_u
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:30:07 AM by bdeck »

bdeck

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
It's been a while since I've done anything to this macro. Had bigger plans, but first things first.

Here's an update to vdd that adds 2 useful functions to the Help Menu:

P  ...    toggles the polar limit of rotation.  ( when set, viewer cannot move past the north and south poles using the up/down arrows )

V  ...    redefines vertical axis to X or Z by creating a custom workplane Xup or Zup.

Workplane name is now the third entry in the status bar while the macro is running. (Yup is the default workplane)

After executing the Vx or Vz command, one needs to execute the X command to create a new view center. Haven't tried it with reversed coordinate systems, but I'm guessing it will be OK.  ( Might need to reverse the sign of one of the points in the Workplane command. )

( The far right panel of the status bar is non functional during the macro, and I was unable to hide it using sys$(200)="111110". Maybe someone here has an idea where I went wrong. )

Regards
bd
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:55:19 AM by bdeck »

samdavo

• the trick is knowin...^ > v < - which way's up?
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 02:51:32 AM »
Well done again bdeck - I must dust off my DCAD program and give it a go.  (PS I've been retired for a year or two) ... :)  Cheers

bdeck

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
Hi Sam,

Now let me get this straight.
You appear to be suggesting that retirement can affect one's use of DC.
Somehow that just does't seem right.

Good to hear from you.
BD

Dr PR

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
BD,

My thoughts exactly! Don't we retire so we will have more time to play with DesignCAD?

Good to hear from you again Sam.

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
That depends

Some retire, and given absence of work related requirements have no idea what to draw...

Some retire and draw a ship...

Some draw home renovations, and risk their entire marriage trying to carry them out..

Some go golfing..

Point being, its a bit like jumping overboard on a foggy night, thus unable to see over the edge.

ps not sure how this relates to the subject line - maybe it does.
User since Pro-design