Author Topic: 'Same As' button to select color (and maybe linestyle) for Selection Filter.  (Read 1327 times)

Lar

A drawing with many colors would most likely have similar colors. Similar colors also result when using the color toolbox and in haste you pick the wrong shade.

When using the Selection Filter and trying to isolate, let's say blue, many times I would  pick the first blue I see, thinking it's the only blue in the drawing and not knowing that there are other shades of blue lurking further down the list.

This situation could be alleviated if it were possible to use the 'same as' finger to click on an entity in the drawing and its color would go in the filtered side (the right side) of the Selection Filter. 

This concept could also work for linestyles, layers and entity names... hell, let's chuck 'em all in.

Lar

JJG

YES !
I vote for too !

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Lar,

While trying to phrase the feature request, I got to wondering how using the "same as" finger to select a colour from the drawing helps you finding the "other shades of blue".

At least the program generated colour list shows all colours in the drawing and when you see two or more blues then you know that you are dealing with shades of blue -- correctly or wrongly --.

Selecting a blue colour in the drawing with the "same as" finger does not help you in determining that there are other shades of blue.
Dempsey

Dr PR

Dempsey,

What program generated color list?

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Sorry, I have to be clearer. When I say program then I mean DesignCAD. And it is Edit /Selection Filter that give you the list of all colours used in the drawing.
Dempsey

Dr PR

Dempsey,

Thanks. I have seen the color list in the Selection Filter but gave it no thought. For some reason I assumed it was a list of all possible colors. Shows you how often I use that feature!

Phil

JJG

Dempsey,

like Lar, I think a "same as" button should be usefull, in the sense that, for large designs, it saves you from any unrolling the list (of colors or line styles, or layers, etc ...) and try various tests before finding exactly what you seek ...

Lar

Lar,

While trying to phrase the feature request, I got to wondering how using the "same as" finger to select a colour from the drawing helps you finding the "other shades of blue".

Selecting a blue colour in the drawing with the "same as" finger does not help you in determining that there are other shades of blue.

Dempsey,

I am not trying to determine how many "shades of blue" are in a drawing.

I am using the Selection Filter to select a bunch of entities that, to my eyes, have an RGB value of 0,0,255, ie - "true blue". As far as I know I don't have any similar blue value (eg, 0,0,213 or 43,43,255) in the drawing.

Here is what happens:
In the left hand side of the color tab in the SelFilter I scroll down to the first "true blue" I see, double click it and it goes to the right side. I then do a selection box around the entities (that are jumbled with other entities) and guess what... the bunch of blue entities are not selected. I now have the following choices: either 1] scroll further down the list until I see a similar blue, repeating the process until I find the correct shade (the available colors appear in the list as you first create an entity of that color so they are not necessarily all together)... or 2] click-select one of the blue entities, open the info box and click on the color button to open the color dialog box, record the RGB values, close the info box then scroll through the SelFilter available colors until I find the same RGB values. If I mentally recorder the RGB value I may forget the exact values and have to repeat choice 1 or 2 again.

If the SelFilter had a Same As finger I would simply click the finger on an entity to be selected and that exact color would go to the right side. This same philosophy could go for all of the tabs of the SelFilter.

I actually have a macro where I can select an entity and the macro will select all the entities of that color and layer but the SelFilter is so much more flexible.

Lar
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:10:51 PM by Lar »

Dr PR

Lar,

Good idea. But what can you do when several objects of different colors are in close proximity? What if you want to select a blue object but the Finger selects a nearby red object?

If gravity snap works with the finger this should solve the problem. You may have to try several times but eventually you will snap to a point on the correct object.

This brings up a problem - what if the finger selects the wrong object? Does the selected property go into the right hand list in the Selection Filter dialog immediately? This could end up putting a lot of unwanted features in the filter list.

Or is the characteristic entered only after the Finger is terminated? And how do you terminate the filter?

Phil

Lar

Good idea. But what can you do when several objects of different colors are in close proximity? What if you want to select a blue object but the Finger selects a nearby red object?

Good point, Phil, but easy to fix: simply double click the errant color on the right side and it goes away, then try again.

I see a bigger problem if different but close colored entities are jumbled together... or the one you want resides exactly on top of another with a similar color that is ahead of it on the id list. You could pick the wrong shade and visually you can't tell the difference when it appears on the right side of the filter. Not the end of the world, though. I would just do what I've been doing since the filter was introduced: once I realize I have the wrong selection go through steps 1 or 2 of my previous post. Or just zoom in to get a clear shot, or select the entity and duplicate somewhere safe, use the finger then undo. All of these I do now if I have to select the entity to record its RGB values. I'm sure having the finger would reduce this a whole lot.

Sometimes, when it wasn't intentional to have similar colors in the drawing, I am forced to scroll through the available colors selecting all of a set of similar, selecting all of their entities, then changing their color to the desired hue through the id box (if you do this it's best to close and reopen the filter so the other shades are no longer in the left side list <<in earlier versions non-existent colors could cause dcad to crash>>. If some are still there that means their entities may be on inactive layers or something).

This brings up a problem - what if the finger selects the wrong object? Does the selected property go into the right hand list in the Selection Filter dialog immediately? This could end up putting a lot of unwanted features in the filter list.

In another world I would suggest something like once you click a little menu pops up with all the nearby colors and you select the color from the menu (with a 'none' or 'cancel')... or all the possible entities highlight in its opposite color and little 'ok' / 'try again' buttons appear near the mouse... That's in another world, though. Like I said earlier, double clicking any entry in the right side list removes it.

Lar
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:09:17 PM by Lar »