Author Topic: 3D PDF export feature  (Read 982 times)

Rick V.

3D PDF export feature
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »
3D PDF export feature.

I'm looking for a simple inexpensive way for my clients to view 3D models of buildings. They need to be able to rotate and zoom in/out on the model. That's all.

3D PDF's seem like the simplest way to go because most people already have the Adobe Reader. Additionally, the DesignCAD Viewer is no longer supported and there was always the need for clients to load that software.

It would be great if all of the qualities of the DesignCAD model could be incorporated into the 3D PDF export including lighting, colors, transparencies, etc.

I've searched for an affordable method to convert DesignCAD 3D models to 3D PDF, but I've been successful so far.

Perhaps if DesignCAD could develop this capability a scaled down version could even be created and marketed as a "bridge" to 3D PDF for other CAD software products via the DWG format. IMSI Design currently markets pdf2cad, so maybe this feature could expand the feature set of that software too.

Ideally, the 3D PDF conversion would be a native feature of DesignCAD.

Any ideas or paths for 3D PDF exporting out there?

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
Re: 3D PDF export feature
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »
The old DC Viewer seems to work with new drawings, in spite of the warning.  If you want to show the building in shade mode, you may have to save it like that.

http://www.upperspace.com/downloads/trial/?pn=1020

dcadRob

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
I don't see how the old DC Viewer could possibly display the new dimensions correctly.

Rick V.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »
The old DC Viewer seems to work with new drawings, in spite of the warning.  If you want to show the building in shade mode, you may have to save it like that

Thanks Bob, but I've been down that road a bunch of times with clients and the old viewer won't display transparent materials and sometimes clients are reluctant to load on another program.

Besides, the warning just makes the whole thing seem pretty cheesy. I really do think PDF is the way to go. It's just simple communication. The easier it is the more likely clients are to actually use it.

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
Added to Feature Request List as F-174.
Dempsey