Author Topic: Version 20 export formats  (Read 1427 times)

dlallen

Version 20 export formats
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »
I have v.19 but need to export in one of these file formats: jpeg, gif, bmp, or png. These are the only formats that KompoZer will accept. Will v. 20 export images to one of these formats? If not, are there other CAD systems that will export to one or more of these formats? I'd hate to change, since I have been using DesignCAD for 20 years, but I need to put drawings on my website. Thanks for the help.

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
Re: Version 20 export formats
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »

No problem!

Jpg file format can be created from v19 - not to discourage you from upgrading to much improved V20   :)

Just go to file, image, save image file, and select the options.

You can also print to a high-resolution pdf format, and grab the image file using acrobat.
User since Pro-design

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:55:38 AM »
dlallen,

Capture the picture at the same screen/pixel size that it will be displayed on your web page.  Generally, your exported (jpeg) picture will be smaller (and be better quality) if you convert it to gif.  Experiment a lttle.
If you don't have a good graphics program, Irfanview is free.  It will resize jpegs well, but not gifs, and make sure that you set the method of resizing at "slowest".

*You might notices that there is a moderator with a very similar handle as mine over on the Kompozer Forum...  ::)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:05:22 AM by Bob P »

dlallen

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:22:16 AM »
Thank you both very much! I now have my logo on the web page. I have used and taught DC (in high school, starting with DC2d V. 6, if I remember right) for a long time without knowing (or caring) about the image options, although there were a few times I could have used them if I had known about them. Being self-taught has some disadvantages, huh? I am re-starting my cabinetmaking business because I got laid off after 19 years as a shop teacher. I will specialize in CPAP nightstands and stand-up desks. I am brand new to Kompozer, but my computer engineer son got me started. I will have to get on the Kompozer forum. My website BTW is dennyallencabinets.com, in case you want to see how you have helped. It is under development.
In your debt!

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »
Denny,

You aren't alone in learning late about the "File/Image/Image Save" options. I have been using the program since the late 80s and only recently learned that "Image Save" could generate JPEGs at higher resolution than the screen image.

You have to select anything except the default "Current Display" in the "Save Image As:" box in order to get a high resolution image. If you just set "Image Size" in pixels to some value larger than the display pixels you will get an image with the larger number of pixels, but she same number of jaggies as the screen image. For example, say the screen image is 1500x1000 pixels, and you set an image size of 3000x2000 pixels. In the resulting JPEG image each of the screen pixels will be translated into a square block of four pixels - ugly with big "jaggies."

If you select "Save Image As:" "Wireframe" and 3000x2000 pixels the resulting JPEG will have lines that are single pixel wide (unless you have assigned a wide line width) and will look MUCH better.

I don't know how far back the "Save Image As:" options go (it was in V15) but somehow I missed it when they appeared and I didn't know about them until a few months ago. I was using the CutePDF printer driver to generate large PDF images and then using Photoshop to make high resolution JPEGs.
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »
Doc, I know that feeling of wishing for many-a-year that a program could do something then finding out that all the while it could. Makes you wonder if there are really are such things as guardian angles.

Lar

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »

guardian angles

I wonder if Designcad can dimensions those???
User since Pro-design

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
dlallen,

All those high-res images are useless on your web page.
Optimizing Images for the Web

If you need something that will look good on the printed page, it's best to generate )and link) a PDF.