Author Topic: Database - SQL info request/help  (Read 3656 times)

Rex

Database - SQL info request/help
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:39 AM »
I am a business admin for a company that generates a vast amount of DesignCad drawings for customers and our techs spend a lot of time entering info from excel to DesignCad. My simple question is if it is possible to link/connect DesignCad to a SQL/ODBC/MSAcess/MSexcel...

Please help - I tryed to look for help online but I don't see any topics that are specific to this subject.

Rex

DrollTroll

• Kindly Curmudgeon
  • Administrator
Re: Database - SQL info request/help
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:52:16 AM »
Hi Rex,

DesignCAD can't connect directly to a database or Excel; however, it should be possible to have a utility program load your database or excel program and directly enter the data into a DesignCAD drawing, using the OLE Automation interface.
25 years with DesignCAD

JJG

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »
another trick is to "save as" .txt the original .xls- or .xlsx-file in Exel (or other spreadsheet) : then DesignCAD can work with via a macro.

dcadRob

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:01 AM »
Assuming that your techs are entering text from an Excel file, you can save as a CSV file and write a macro to read the values.

Dr PR

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »
Rex,

I have taken numbers and text from Excel into DesignCAD in two different ways.

1. Sometimes I want to enter the text into a DesignCAD file, to appear as text in the drawing. For that I copy from Excel and paste into Word. I clean up the text in Word (if necessary) and then copy and paste into DesignCAD. There you can select the text and change font information if need be. However, I don't recall if you can import a Word table into DesignCAD. As I recall it is a lot of work to reconstruct tables in DesignCAD.

You can also pass the text through Notepad to clear out all Word formatting before pasting into DesignCAD.

2. When I want to import Excel numerical values (not text) into DesignCAD to create point grids or lines I select rows or columns of data, copy and paste into Word. There I manually format the data into XYZ data for DesignCAD. Then I save it as an ASCII text file and rename the file as ???.xyz for import into DesignCAD.

Again, just to be sure I get rid of all Word formatting information, I usually pass the .txt file through Notepad before changing it to .xyz file type.

Because Excel and Word are ubiquitous, it would be nice if DesignCAD could import and export data with these programs directly. It would be nice if DesignCAD could import table data as a table that can be edited (text and lines) in DesignCAD. Likewise, direct import/export of XY and XYZ numerical data would be good.

DesignCAD user since 1987