Author Topic: About Line Styles compared to Hatch Patterns properties ...  (Read 1570 times)

JJG

About Line Styles compared to Hatch Patterns properties ...
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
I often pestered and groaned cons that when drawing lines one above the other (and of course using line styles other than "solid", and of course too with sames properties like tickness, scale, etc ...), in areas of overlap, the pattern of these lines becomes often "unreadable"  (or even sometimes like "solid" style) due to the fact that the origine of the pattern seems to be defined at the first setted point, and not as it could have been (and as it is the case for the hatch patterns) from the origin point (0,0,0) or axis (X, Y, Z) of the design.  (indeed, with hatch pattern, you can draw two -or more- hatch one above the other, if the pattern and the scale of pattern are the same, you will only and always see just one hatching, and not a vulgar "meat cake" ....

From my point of view, it would be a great improvement concerning Line styles if it could one day be this way (origin of pattern the same for alls in the drawing) ... Indeed, this could provide a definite plus for both presentation Working of drawings 2D and 3D drawing (where representation of hidden lines should be greatly facilitated : for exemple, you could copy a solid on itself, then convert it to vectors and choose line style on "dash"  and then group it with his originaly solid : then you could see the edges hidden as any point of view using Set View command ; etc ....)

You can of course retort that it there's the function "Combine Lines" , which should normally combine all stacked lines in a single line, but This command does not work "exactly" as , and when you have such lines one above the other, the visual result is always bad, and if not, then you're really lucky ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:26:35 AM by JJG »

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
Re: About Line Styles compared to Hatch Patterns properties ...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »
Non-solid lines start their pattern at the beginning point of the only line, or the beginning of the first line of a sequences of lines.

How do you visualize for example a dashed line to continue when a continuous sequence of lines are drawn?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:30:13 PM by Dempsey »
Dempsey

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
Or even worse, how should it deal with multiline intersections?
User since Pro-design

JJG

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:16 AM »
Dempsey,
Thank you for the attention you bring to our requests.

Regarding this one, my answer to your question (How do you visualize for example a dashed line to continue when a continuous sequence of lines are drawn?) is as follows:
I think it is not necessary for a "multi-line" (= vector with more than 2 points) using dashed pattern (or any other pattern)that there is a perfect continuity of the pattern in a change of direction, ie, in my opinion, visual rendering in the changes of direction could remain exactly as when the lines (vectors with only 2 points) are drawn one to one before being collected into a single vector (multi-points): visual rendering concerning recoveries of lines would be always better as the present rendering.

As argument to this , I always refer to the drawing board, where, when one is drawing lines broken, one does not ensure the most perfect continuity in the pattern in the changes of direction.

Rob S : I do not good understand your question ?

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39:06 AM »
I agree - my question is not well explained at all

I meant where lines come together at angles, the patterns can't really match, since the length of the lines to reach a certain x or y point is different, so I don't think a drawing wide origin would work.

It's true there are times when a configurable origin for a particular line pattern would be real handy
User since Pro-design

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »
For non-solid lines I typically start out with a scale of 1, and when there is an awkward ending at the end of the line that can create confusion then I tweaked the scale a bit.
Dempsey

Dr PR

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
Rob has a point. In some cases you want the line pattern to be exactly the same from the starting points of multiple lines. Years ago I tried to create railroad track line symbols (in another program) for use on maps, something like this:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Where these line are parallel it looks much nicer if the cross lines line up, like this:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If the pattern origin was relative to the drawing origin, it would be impossible to line up the cross lines on "tracks" oriented at angles to the axes. If the pattern is generated relative to the line itself, then simple straight parallel "tracks" will have the cross lines lined up correctly. All bets are off when the tracks curve.
DesignCAD user since 1987