Author Topic: having the possibily of a multi clip-board, such as in Microsoft Word software!  (Read 2675 times)

JJG

Paulerens referred to this idea (see please then end of the topic "Undo history"  http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=3372.0 )  : I put it here, then, clearly
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:19:46 AM by JJG »

Bob P

• Era Replica Automobiles
I've used external multiple-clip-boards and they tend to conflict with other program's clipboards.

I have a couple of macros to save (and paste) selected items.   The "clips" are saved to actual disk files rather than the clipboard.  That way, you can still use the clipboard for other things.

Adjust the path to the file to suit.

Make multiple copies with appropriate changes to the macros  and file names.

'Program: cpy1.d3m (saves a selected section to a file on the hard drive)

if sys(80)=0 then
  Message "Nothing selected. . . routine will end, press any key"
  END
end if

sys(36)=1

>saveselected
{
<Filename "d:\dc\temp\cut1.dcd"
}
sys(36)=0

end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Program: paste1.d3m (paste from file)

>SymbolLoad
{
<filename "d:\dc\temp\cut1.dcd"
'setpoint "Set a point to locate the entity (or enter to set its original location)", 1
<Scale 1
}

end

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
BTW, multiple clipboards is already on the Requested Features list as F-180.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:01:55 PM by Dempsey »
Dempsey

JJG

Dempsey,

very good news to learn that it was already on the Requested Features list as F-180 !!!

And sorry to create another "same" topic as this you indicate ... 
but clicking on the link you give us, it's appear an error message : "An Error Has Occurred! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
JJG,

Good point, my mistake. I have removed the link as it was pointing to the Beta test site.
Dempsey

JJG

No problem !
And thank's a lot for all what you are doing for us !

JJG

Since the subject of new features has come up, I make up these wishe too.

Dr PR

Here is a word of caution about using the clipboard in DesignCAD.

Every group and solid has an ID number associated with it. The program keeps a Max ID number that is assigned to new groups/solids and then the Max ID is incremented. Max ID is NEVER decremented, it just keeps getting larger and larger. The variable used to store Max ID is a form of integer - it has a maximum value. If this is reached the number overflows and rolls over to zero.

When you copy and paste a group (and perhaps a solid) the Group ID number for the copy increments twice.

If you use the "Duplicate" (N) function the Group ID increments only once.

Copying and pasting groups (and solids?) races toward that rollover limit twice as fast as Duplicating the items.

This caused a lot of problems in V17 and earlier. If the Group ID overflowed the resulting group could be merged with an existing group. Worse still, the drawing could become corrupted so severely that the program would crash any time you tried to open the drawing. I had this happen in drawings that I had been working on for a year or two.

V18 and later have a much larger Maximum Group ID, but there still is a limit beyond which the drawing may be corrupted. Even though the Max numbers are much larger, they are still finite and extensive copying and pasting large numbers of groups/solids will eventually exceed that limit.

When you delete a group or a solid the remaining groups/solid IDs are not repacked, leaving unused ID numbers. Every time a new group or solid is created it is assigned an ID equal to the Max ID. So you could end up with a drawing with only one group and then copy/paste it with the new copy having an ID number that overflows.

The newer versions now have the "Tools/Groups/Pack Group IDs" and "Solids/Pack Solids ID" functions. These functions renumber all groups or solids to eliminate missing ID numbers. Then the Max ID is equal to the actual number of groups/solids plus one. It is a good idea to used these functions on any drawing where part or all of the drawing has been in use for a long time (like Title Blocks and borders, logos, etc.).

It would be nice if the program had an option to automatically repack all solid/group IDs when the file is opened. Automatic repacking has not been implemented in case someone has macros that include specific group/solid ID numbers (for example, group number X is always a title block, etc.).

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

paulerens

JJG, thanks to  reminder this.

Bob, you know this is much slower?

Dempsey: thanks for noting this proposal as F-180.
             But I would put it higher! It's a simple thing with a lot of results.

Paul.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:10:27 PM by paulerens »

Dr PR

Paul,

The 180 is just the 180th feature request, and not a priority ranking. Every now and then Dempsey posts the list and lets averyone rank them. Then he compiles a "most popular" list. Sometimes DT and company actually implement the most popular new features! When a new feature is implemented the requests are not renumbered, so it doesn't mean that there are 180 outstanding new feature requests. I'm sure it is no more than 100!

Phil
DesignCAD user since 1987

paulerens

I know Phil, but I may still have an opinion?
  Thanks for the correct note.
Paul.