Author Topic: "blown-up" detail  (Read 8155 times)

mikegyver59

"blown-up" detail
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
Hi all; I have DCad v16. I used to be regular here at this forum, but life got in the way for a while. Now, I am back to DCad and have a question.
I'm trying to find a way to "blow up" a section of a drawing, such as to more clearly show close up details, etc. I want to be able to position this blow up detail in the same drawing, but maybe off to the side a bit. I have tried zooming up the section, and copying it to the clipboard using all three copy options in the file menu, then pasting it back into the normal "unzoomed" drawing, but none of those options seem to work right. I even tried saving it as a symbol, but it is always re-scaled back down when I bring it back in. So far, the best solution I have come up with is to scale the selection seperately from rest of drawing, then go back and rescale rest of drawing back to normal. Then, I dimension the details of the larger object using draw as text, then I go back and change the text on each and every dimension to what I know it IS SUPPOSED to be. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank You All!!! 

janders1

Re: "blown-up" detail
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
Try using Section Copy under the edit menu. Paste it back in the drawing. Select the pasted in drawing and use the scale or Zoom function to enlarge just the pasted in drawing. ( note, the zoom function is not the same as the zoom function under view. It is the same as the scale function except it scales in both directions with only one entry.

mikegyver59

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:30 PM »
Yeah, I did try the section copy thing, but when I paste back into the drawing, there is an invisible box around it (I assume from where I have to drag a 2D selection box around it to start with) that obscures
other objects in the drawing. In keeping from obscuring other things, I have to position it so far away, that it kind of defeats the purpose. I tried the copy image command, but then when pasted back in, its lines are all jagged and fuzzy.

Pearco

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »
Mike;

If you can save the section of your drawing as a symbol then reload the symbol off to the side of your drawing, let it come in as original size. Now do all the dimensioning then change the dim text to fixed. Now scale the symbol to the size you want for display. The text will remain the same.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

mikegyver59

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:10 PM »
Hmmmmm...I never tried the fixed text thing,,,,sounds good, I will give it a shot.
Thank You!!!

Pearco

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
Mike;

One other thing. Why don't you scrap that V16 and all of its bugs. V17 or V18 has it beat hands down in many areas.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

janders1

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:17:38 PM »
I am using version 18.2 and I do not see any invisible box. You would see that if you used save image file as it saves a  jpg. Just copying and pasting does not. See sample

mikegyver59

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:35:28 PM »
Yepper, I WAS saving it as a jpg. Now I've got TWO different things to try. By the way, is v18 REALLY all that much better?????

janders1

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »
Yep

mikegyver59

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »
Welp, guess I'm gonna have to scope it out some. So v16 has lots of bugs then??? Maybe thats why I get headaches when I'm using it???

mikegyver59

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
I downloaded the trial version of 18......from what I can tell so far, it does seem to run better than v16.
Thanx for the advice.

Pearco

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 04:25:45 AM »
Mike;

The programmers and beta testers are working on soon to be released V18.3 and when it is released, I am sure you will have fewer head aches and no more itching from little critters.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

mikegyver59

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:18 AM »
Thanx Much Jim; I will be watching for it!!

Dr PR

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 12:51:07 AM »
mike,

Looks like the other posts have covered most of the details. I include scaled "details" in my drawings like you describe. Here is my procedure:

1. Select the objects to be scaled.
2. Duplicate them with the "N" key - this is better than copy and paste for several reasons - and drag the items to a clear part of your drawing.
3. Use the Scale or Zoom commands to resize the detail.
4. Dimension the scaled objects as you normally would, but in the "Dimension/Text" dialog use the "Units Multiplier" to scale the dimensions to fit the scale of the detail. For example, if the detail is 4X you would use a multiplier of 1/4.

This procedure has no effect on the scale or dimensions of the rest of the drawing. No need to save the detail as a symbol. Also, if for any reason you change the Units for the entire drawing with the Units command, say from inches to millimeters, your detail scaled dimensions automatically convert correctly.
DesignCAD user since 1987

Pearco

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:56 AM »
DR PR;

The "Units Multiplier" is a good suggestion. Now if I could only remember it next time. I use the same steps as yours to that point but your text on dims is not locked in as are mine. You learn something new every day if one just reads the post here.  Thanks.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5