Author Topic: 'How To' best CUT solid?  (Read 1919 times)

boswell

'How To' best CUT solid?
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:12:08 AM »
and WHERE is a good learning source?

Wahoo!

Re: 'How To' best CUT solid?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:50:24 AM »
Your drawing, trying to do what?

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:21:51 AM »

OK, I'm going to take a couple of guesses - it would be easier if we knew exactly what you are trying to do, and what isn't working.

1) To simply cut off one end, you can use slice command.

2) To remove shapes from existing solids, usually just make another solid the shape you want to remove, make sure it is bigger than the original where you want everything removed, and then solid subtract.

3) If you want to remove many shapes, (like punch holes) best to make them all. combine them into one solid, (a single solid can consist of many parts in space) then subtract.

Best learning source is this forum - there is no single individual out there that knows it all well enough to write us a book, for a price we'd be willing to pay!!!

There are also many tutorials on http://designcadunleashed.com/

Imsi has training CD some have found useful.
User since Pro-design

Pearco

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »
boswell;

I believe the first thing you need to do is have a solid that you are working with. The angle you have is hollow. Rotate it a little and you can see through it.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

boswell

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »
Rob;
Your #2 -SLD SUBTR, does not work.

The 'angle ', is classified a GRID ... Boolean ops. will not  work.

Your #3 - GROUP SUBT, have you ever tried that, successfully, in v.18.2?  (I haven't)

I'm still searching ...

janders1

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
It is very difficult to figure out what you are trying to do with no more info than you give. Look at this and see if it helps. Please note that all solids must be made from planes, not grids. If you extrude from lines you end up with a hollow set of grids that you cannot subtract from. And yes to you question to Rob I group solids all the time in Ver 18 and subtract them. Works fine.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:47:33 PM by janders1 »

Rob S

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
OK, silly me, I thought due to your subject line "how to cut solid" that you would have defined a solid before trying solids operations.

Sooo, I took your drawing, selected the angle, from menu "solids, solid define"

I drew a pipe passing through it, and subtracted it.

Results below.  Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?
User since Pro-design

Pearco

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »
boswell;

1.  Draw the profile of your angle iron in 2D on the X/Z plane. You will find that setting in options/general at the bottom of the page.
 2.  When done, do a combine lines (hot key B) followed by make plane Edit/selection edit/combine/make plane.
 3.  Go to 3D and extrude to the height you need.
 4.  Have a cold one. Job is done.
 5.  Come back later and manipulate the solid any way you want.
Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

boswell

Re: 'How To' best CUT solid?-3
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
Rob;
Headed  there, but ...

The angle with 'legs'; trimmed at slant.

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »

With your drawing:

1)  Select the angle ( bring up info box - note in header of dialog - it is still a "grid")

2)  From Menu "Solids, Solid define"  (Note - it is now a "solid")

3)  Close the info box

3)  From the menu "Solids, solid subtract"

5)  Set a point on your wedge, (which is already a solid), and another point on the angle.

6) The wedge is subtracted from the angle.

Result below:
User since Pro-design

janders1

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »
NOte that because the angles were extruded from lines instead of planes solid defining them still leaves you with a hollow angle.

Dr PR

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 04:44:09 PM »
boswell,

As noted by the others, there are several things that can look like solids, but to DesignCAD they aren't really solids so the boolean operations don't work:

Planes.

Grids - what you get when you extrude or sweep a line. These are just zero thickness surfaces with openings somewhere. If you tried to fill them with water they would leak.

Solids - what you get when you extrude a plane, or what is produced by the draw solids functions (box, cylinder, etc.). Real solids are 3D closed objects - they have a non-zero thickness and if you could fill them with water they wouldn't leak

When in doubt, select an object and open the Info Box. If it doesn't say "Solid" in the top bar,the boolean operations won't work.

You can define anything to be a solid with the "Solid Define" command. After this DesignCAD will try to apply the solid boolean operations with it. However, beware! If it really isn't a solid you may get some bizarre results. On the other hand you can use the solid subtract operation to punch holes in grids that have been defined as solids (they will no longer be grids and you can get some undesirable side effects).
DesignCAD user since 1987