Author Topic: Wheel Zoom, Zoom In/Out  (Read 6760 times)

prl

• A Bézier Extrusion
Wheel Zoom, Zoom In/Out
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
Below you'll find a zip folder for my latest wheel zoom and zoom in/out add-ons using AutoHotKey. I've coded them to work in versions 15 to 18.

If you are using DesignCAD with the default mapping of the "+" and "-" keys, each of the programs does the same thing:

1. The mouse wheel will zoom in and out depending on which way you roll it.
  2. The "+" and "-" keys zoom in and out without asking for a point or mouse click (Dr PR style).

To control the rate (speed) of zoom, you can adjust the "zoom increment" found at >options>options>general tab

You should only use one of the programs, either DcZoomv2.exe or DcZoomv3.exe.  I've included both because you many get faster performance with the v2 but more intuitive cursor tracking with v3. Version 3 not only intercepts the keystrokes and commands, it also computes the position of the DesignCAD window and then moves the cursor to the middle of the screen after each zoom, something DesignCAD doesn't do.

To disable or kill the programs, notice the little Green "H" in the system tray near the clock. Right click and click "exit".

If either of these work, you can stick a copy or a shortcut of them in your startup folder.  Note the programs only affect DesignCAD, nothing else (at least not intentionally).

Edit: For DcZoomv3, you need to be running a single full screen session in either 2d or 3d mode.  If you use tiled windows, DcZoomv2 is probably the way to go.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:18:32 AM by prl »

Dr PR

Re: Wheel Zoom, Zoom In/Out
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
prl,

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
DesignCAD user since 1987

Lar

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »
... and for those who don't know... if you call up the Zoom command first (Z key), rolling the wheel zooms you in and out. You would have to Esc to stop the zooming or complete the command with an actual zoom box...

Lar

JJG

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:16:05 AM »
In Designcad standart, at least on my machine, using <ctrl> + rolling the wheel zooms you in and out, and so will do exactly the same action as with Zoom command (Z key), and better more : you have not to Esc to stop the zooming ; it finish when you stop holding down <ctrl>

But such ways of zooming have the disadvantage of burdening the buffer of wiew, which penalizes the use of "Zoom Previous" or "Zoom Redo" , for me very pratical too.

For other tips and tricks on zoom or screen commands, see too this topic:  http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=2633.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:24:42 AM by JJG »

Lar

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
JJG,

I'm aware of the ctrl+roll to zoom in and out, that's why I said if you call up the zoom command first. Holding Ctrl, Shift and Alt drains my personal buffer so I avoid them as much as possible. For example, I would use the Copy, Cut and Paste buttons on the toolbar rather that hold Ctrl+C, X and V.

When zooming, many times the area to be boxed is slightly off screen so I would press Z (for zoom) then roll the mouse to zoom back slightly so I can box the area to zoom in.

I must admit that this is one area that acad absolutely kills dcad in. Since about acad14 you just roll the mouse and the screen zooms in/out on where the cursor is located. I would just spin the wheel back to zoom out until my area of interest comes into view, put the cursor there and spin the wheel up to zoom in. All the acad users I know actually picked this up either directly or indirectly from me  8) because they use to right click to get the little context menu first, which was a serious drag for me. I'm surprised that no one on this forum has ever asked for this in dcad.

Lar

Rob S

• Construction Estimating Program for General Contractors
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »

Have you guys tried the aerial view thingy (in the "view" menu)? 

If you have a big enough monitor, it can be real handy for finding, panning, and zooming to whatever you want to see in a big drawing.

Add it to a custom toolbar or assign a hotkey to toggle it on and off
User since Pro-design

Lar

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
I tried Aerial View but I don't like how it is always full zoom and you can't zoom in on an area (in the aerial view window itself) for fine zooming (like how acad works). I have my  own aerial view where I leave one of the regular windows full zoom and use a macro to box an area in that window then click in another window and the zoom happens in this second window (dcad for DOS was able to do this). This way I can zoom the 'aerial view' window in on a particular area of interest where I will be doing a lot of zooming. This is also why I leave 'offscreen bitmap' off... I use the pan command to click somewhere in the full window then click in another window to pan there. Normally I want the zoom percentage of the 2nd window to remain, like when I'm zoomed in as much as possible (in the hundreds of millions %).

Lar
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:01:53 PM by Lar »

JJG

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
We have all our tips and tricks for the use of zoom or wiew commands, but as Lar mentionned, too (I had such remarks in the topic I indicate above), Autocad has a "good clear lead" on DesignCAD in this domain.

That's why I was asking for such possibility to use 3D mouse in Designcad : see topic http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=2411.0
I am convinced that much of the delay would be caught!

JJG

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
Rob S,

today I was (re)trying the aerial view (in V18 and in V19), and because I have both screens (my "old" Dell 20'' in portrait mode with 1200 x 1600 pixels, and my new 30'' Dell with 2560 x 1600 pixels), I moved the aerial view on the 20'' screen, and gave it about 1200 x 800 pixels size. And for the experimentation, I opened a big file of about 17 Mo.
OK. for all Zoom or Pan operations, very efficient, perfect, that's right !
I also think it's probably fairly close to the solution explained by Lar, without using the macro.

But when I was working with, I could not recognize my DesignCAD : it became so slow between 2 operations, it became a real "poem" to work with ... you have to wait minimum 4 to 5 seconds after each command before being able to do next one ...

Why ?? I was looking for : first I was thinking of the graphic card, but not.
and because I always have my icon taskmgr enabled, I can see if the processor is working a lot or not : here is the case = working 100% during theses 4 to 5 seconds after each command ... and what is he doing : refreshing (= updating) the aerial view !!!

Also, this solution, though seeming very comfortable for the view, not at all successful and not at all convincing = to be avoid with large drawings.
(note : I tested this in my "old" V15.33 too, and it seems not to be so slow that in latest versions ...)

I remarked too, that using "enable offscreen bitmaps" checked (in the options view menu) slows DesignCAD quite as much as using aerial view ... because Dcad continualy after each command is updating the bitmap for wiew commands ... Also I don't recommand it to you too.

And finaly, I always come back to the same conclusion, namely that the use of scrollbars remains the most effective move in the drawing without overloading either the CPU or the display buffer, and so preserve the performances of DesignCAD for drawing, what is his first job.
That's why, once again, I'm sure that having the possibility to have new macro commands for driving the scrollbars, or better, drivers for a 3D mouse, like in Turbocad, Doublecad (both IMSI products), or Autocad, Solidworks, Solidedge, etc ... (the list is very long), could bring more benefit for the use of DesignCAD, in terms of speed, productivity, ease of use, etc ...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:55:52 PM by JJG »

Dempsey

• Intel i7-960, 12GB, NVidiaGTX570, Win7x64, DC26.2
    • World of van Vliet
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »
JJG,

I am still struggling to get my mind around some issues you mentioned (in three topics) in order to make clean and meaningful Feature Request(s).

• I cannot find any reference on IMSI's web site that they provide a 3D mouse driver with TurboCAD. I have seen that they recommend a wheel mouse though. I would like to read what IMSI has to say about 3D mouse driver, because if they have that then it should be easier to ask it also with DesignCAD.
  • If I understand you correctly you like to control the scroll bars from within a macro that is activated from the keyboard. Or translated in macro language, two SYS functions that have the current scroll bar "slider" positions and whose values can be change by a macro.

Also note that V20.0 has better performance compared to V18 and V19. Dr PR always has the offscreen bitmap enabled. I personally have it always disabled for performance reasons. Finally, when I work in 3D space I only have the layer(s) visible that I need, I never work in shaded mode. I prefer to work in hidden line removal mode, but wireframe is the fastest.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:22:00 PM by Dempsey »
Dempsey

JJG

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
Dempsey,

About TurboCAD, you can read the list of 3Dconnexion/supported sofware ;
About V20 performance, I can not test it, because it's not possible to by V20 outside of the US or Canada ... So I 'm waiting for the next french version of Designcad.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:43:31 PM by JJG »

JJG

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
I come away about this:
it seems that both of these programs (DcZoomv2 and DcZoomv3) no longer work with v23 and later: is this also the case for you guys?

Lar

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
JJG, I assume'DcZoomv2' and 'DcZoomv3' are macros. Can You post them?

JJG

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:11 AM »
Hy Lar,

they are both in the DcZoom.zip you can download above (1srt post of PRL).
They aren't macro, but .exe
So, I Think PRL must (if possible for him, thank's in advance) have a look with...
 ;)