Author Topic: Is there a better way to surface over topography?  (Read 3509 times)

Rick V.

Is there a better way to surface over topography?
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »
Sometimes DesignCAD has difficulty creating realistic surfaces over complex topography. You can end up with weird surfaces.

The way I've dealt with this in the past is to snap somewhat parallel lines (5 ft. apart or so) to the topo lines (roughly perpendicular to the topo lines) and then use the Surface Connect command to lay a surface over the somewhat parallel lines. Another way is to  use parallel planes with the Line Plan command to draw the somewhat parallel lines and then use the Surface Connect command.

I'm wondering if anyone in the SDK community has come up with a way to make this a little less tedious?

Thanks,
Rick

Dr PR

Re: Is there a better way to surface over topography?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »
Rick,

Here is a trick I use to produce some very complex smooth surfaces.

1. Start with the contour lines or parallel line set, whatever.

2. The the "Draw/Surface Connect" command to stretch a surface over the lines.

3. Now switch to another layer and use the surface grid as a "template" to draw another set of lines to define the surface. Just use gravity snap to draw new lines following the surface grid lines. These will not be contours, but will be a set of more or less parallel lines that follow the surface contour. The "Surface Connect" command works pretty well with these.

4. Stretch a new surface over these lines.

It sounds like a lot of work, but with a bit of practice you will learn where to draw the second set of lines to avoid the weird surfaces. It is easy to delete the surface and redraw a line or two to smooth out the kinks.

You can duplicate the original lines in places where the surface is OK and move them to the second lines layer to shorten the process.
DesignCAD user since 1987

Rick V.

Re: Is there a better way to surface over topography?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »
Good idea Dr PR. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,
Rick